• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishin' Buddies

biker_bill biker_bill , if y'all are planning a trip to Dick's 4/15/17, count me in. I caught my first fish on Dick's about 1955. We all knew Charlie Turner and Sparks, the cigar salesman, real well. I wish I had a dime for every Ne-Hi grape soda I gave to Herman.
Anyway, let me know they PM or here if y'all plan a trip.
Musket

biker_bill biker_bill , if y'all are planning a trip to Dick's 4/15/17, count me in. I caught my first fish on Dick's about 1955. We all knew Charlie Turner and Sparks, the cigar salesman, real well. I wish I had a dime for every Ne-Hi grape soda I gave to Herman.
Anyway, let me know they PM or here if y'all plan a trip.
Musket

musket musket - When we have out trout fishing M&G it's usually at Rock Creek. Hiking the Hills will post a thread about a month before we go. If you don't know where that is, we can get you there. Hwy 60 through Sucches on your way to Morganton. There's a sign for the fish hatchery on your left, if you follow that road up the mountain (pretty fair road, 4wd not req'd) that's where we'll be. There's a campground, very small, no utilities on the right. I think it's called Frank Gross, I put my pop up there and pay for a site. Most just find a spot in the woods.

musket musket - When we have out trout fishing M&G it's usually at Rock Creek. Hiking the Hills will post a thread about a month before we go. If you don't know where that is, we can get you there. Hwy 60 through Sucches on your way to Morganton. There's a sign for the fish hatchery on your left, if you follow that road up the mountain (pretty fair road, 4wd not req'd) that's where we'll be. There's a campground, very small, no utilities on the right. I think it's called Frank Gross, I put my pop up there and pay for a site. Most just find a spot in the woods.

I know it well, or I should say I KNEW it well. It's been a while. I have an 22" brown on my wall that was caught on the section of creek behind the little white church. My dad caught the brown, I pulled a 19" rainbow out of the same hole that day.

I know it well, or I should say I KNEW it well. It's been a while. I have an 22" brown on my wall that was caught on the section of creek behind the little white church. My dad caught the brown, I pulled a 19" rainbow out of the same hole that day.

They take some of the big one's out of the hatchery when they get old enough and stock them.

Since you know the area;
Just down a ways from the hatchery road is Deep Hole Recreation Area. One early spring the wife and I were camping, I was fishing in the deep spot. All they had was night crawlers at the store, so I bought them. Well they must have stocked a bunch of those big one's, cause I had 8 fish from that same deep spot and the smallest was maybe 14"-15".
Was the heaviest stringer of 8 trout I've ever had in my life.

I had a couple big enough to mount.
But we ate em! :becky:

I never got to fish Deep Hole, but, I'd like to.

Back in the 1960s they were blasting to put in the "new" hatchery tanks and it scared several really big ones downstream. These fish hung out under the bridge at the hatchery where no fishing was allowed and everyone would feed these fish. My dad and I were there about that time and the guy caught the state record brown plus two more almost as big. Back then they had a Check Station and we were standing there when he rolled up. He was shaking like a leaf. My dad said if he had $50 on him, he'd pay the guy to tell us where he was fishing. The guy assured us he had fished out the hole. The ranger took the fish to their certified scales, at the hatchery office, because he thought the big one might be a record. I think that record still stands. EDIT*. I checked, it's been broken at least twice. 2011 and 2014 on the 'Hooch.

** I think I forgot to mention all the above was on Rock Creek.

I never got to fish Deep Hole, but, I'd like to.

Back in the 1960s they were blasting to put in the "new" hatchery tanks and it scared several really big ones downstream. These fish hung out under the bridge at the hatchery where no fishing was allowed and everyone would feed these fish. My dad and I were there about that time and the guy caught the state record brown plus two more almost as big. Back then they had a Check Station and we were standing there when he rolled up. He was shaking like a leaf. My dad said if he had $50 on him, he'd pay the guy to tell us where he was fishing. The guy assured us he had fished out the hole. The ranger took the fish to their certified scales, at the hatchery office, because he thought the big one might be a record. I think that record still stands. EDIT*. I checked, it's been broken at least twice. 2011 and 2014 on the 'Hooch.

Reminds me of something when I was a boy. Fishing for trout up at Stephens State Park in Hackettstown, NJ. Lady climbs down the bank (pretty much falls down) on the opposite side of us and casts, poorly, right into the waterfall. Casts, casts and casts again, poorly. Obviously has little experience, besides she's trying to cast right into the waterfall! We're waiting for her to get hung, it's not going to be long....

We're all kinda smiling, then she lets out a shriek.
Pole's bent in half and she's got a monster on! She landed it too, with some help of her boyfriend/husband/brother. Biggest brown trout I've ever seen, 7 pounds my Dad figured. Then he laughed at us 3 boys and said, "You thought she didn't know what she was doing right? How many times have you fished off THAT bank?". Not once, not once did we ever go over there because it was hard to get to. A lesson I never forgot, lol.

So if you go fishing somewhere and see some 60 year old idiot perched on the edge of disaster, say hello, that'll be me. I think I look for the hardest most difficult spots to fish sometime. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom