• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishing/ Not catching Trophies

Ready to try anything at this point even tried cherry tomatoes and a trouble hook which I read many articles were a good thing to no response

well keep in mind the grass carp mainly eat the stems and leaves of weeds you may honestly want to just try something like floating some lettuce with a hook it or something like that. once it warms up you could honestly catch them with a net as they will start sunning themselves at the surface and they'll let you get right on top of them at that point, saw it all the time at my old job. be sure to throw them back though as they obviously dont reproduce and they keep your weeds down. also you better have some pretty damn sturdy line on rod as a full grown grass carp can get over 50lbs and they've got some serious muscle

The only grass carp I ever hooked was on a broken back rapala. Tossed it on top of him, when he hit it looked like a whale breaching. Not sure so much a predatory response , I think I woke him up and startled him. Took off and snapped 8 pound line like it was sewing thread. Lost two this winter when the lake froze over, not sure if that or old age. They both measured right at 42". Been in the lake about 7 years.

On my property is a total private 2 acre pond built 20!yrs ago with creek and spring running into it snd 17' at the deep point ...saw more than a dozen 5# plus bass and 2 that had to be 10 ( only cuz I caught one before ) bedding and crushing the shoreline . Could not bring myself to pitch a night crawler as it would be to ez . They are not shy at all . My goal is to land a grass Carp which I saw at least a dozen some more than 3' long and 1 that would go 4'. they were stocked 15 years ago . They are tougher than bonefish . Any ideas ?
They are not shy right now because spring spawn is ramping up, they will be bold and and more unresponsive to "feeding" to eat. But they will pick a bait up out of the "bed" and move it. This is when the "catch and release mantra" should be "not catch" and watch and count the big "females" that you will know are in your lake.
If you do catch a large 6-12LB largemouth off the bed, all of the eggs that would have carried on the
DNA and "smarts" that helped that fish attain trophy size will be lost, to the cruising bream that will swoop in and eat these eggs immediately. I have heard this all my life, I beleive it. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom