• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishing Reports

Captain Matt Robinson

Default rank <50 posts Sponsor
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
It was suggested I put all the fishing reports in one thread, so people can subscribe and such.

I am going to start it off with a little information about my trips.
I run a 1760 Rock Proof outboard jet, with a 150/105 Mercury. I am not afraid to put it's name to the test. It has UHMW plastic bolted to the bottom, it's tough. Don't be alarmed if we bump a rock or two going up or down the river, that is normal. This allows me to get to allot of places most people can't.

Running these shallow rocky river I try to limit the weight of my clients to around 600 pounds. I can take three adults or two adults and two kids.

I normally take 90-110 gizzard shad on each trip. They are anywhere between 4"-12" long. The bigger baits are not necessarily better, they are harder to present correctly, they are harder to cast, and they don't live as long. But sometimes those big baits will entice those trophy fish. I don't like to run out of bait, but if we do go through 100 baits we will have had a good day!

My favorite way to fish is "Pitching." I would say 95% of my fish are caught this way. You take a 7' spinning rod and tie on just a hook and maybe a split shot. Hook the shad through the nose and cast it towards eddies, creek mouths, above and below shoals, and such. Often you won't feel the "Bite" you just see your line racing up or down stream. Then sometimes the striped bass will try to yank the rod out of your hands. I use circle hooks to reduce mortality, when you do get a bite, don't be a jerk, just reel!

I provide all the fishing tackle needed. I like to use my rods, I trust them! I will have a drink cooler with ice. For a little extra I will provide lunch and drink. I do not provide adult beverages, but feel free to bring your own. I will have backup suntan lotion and a roll of toilet paper just in case someone needs to go to the bank. Hats and polarized sunglasses are recommended.

Georgia doesn't allow me to provide fishing licenses for my clients, so you will need to purchase your own. You do not need a fishing license if you are under the age of 16 or over the age of 65. The "Go Outdoors Georgia" app on your phone works very well. You can also add the licenses of your wife and or family members to your phone in case you get checked.

I think this covers most things. I will edit and add topics as I get more feedback.

M.R. River Fishing
Matthew Robinson
www.gariverfishing.com
770-616-3865
www.instagram.com/captainmattrobinson/

So this first fishing report is a banger! It was one of the better days I have had as far as numbers of fish. With eagles and osprey, oh my!

We were fishing a dam between West Point and Columbus, GA. We launched a little before the generation water. So we fished a creek mouth south of the dam. There was a school of hybrids stacked up there. We probably had 20-25 hybrids in the short amount of time before they turned on the water.

The water turned on and it was time to head back up to the dam. My guys said something like we shouldn't leave fish to find fish. But I assured them it was going to work out. We get up to the dam and before I could get baits on a bald eagle swooped down and grabbed a big sucker fish right in front of us. That was a good omen! we started casting baits and a osprey flies down and grabs our shad and flies off. Thank God we didn't hook it! Right off the bat it is pretty unbelievable.

A moment later we hook a nice fish. The another angler cast back into the same seem, and he is now hooked up. We land those two stripers that were 17-18 pounds a piece. We reposition and my third angler lands a 16-17 pound striper. Then we get a nice 20 pound blue cat. The bite slows so we head over to the other side.

For the next hour and a half we were tripled up on 2-5 pound hybrids. Until we pretty much until we ran out of bait. Sometimes we caught multiple fish on the same bait. I had to resort to hooking them in the back because their nose was ripped and their eyeballs were gone. It was truly stupid fishing! I am not sure how many we caught but my clients were throwing out numbers that were unbelievable. It was like the glory days of the Etowah back in the late 90's and early 2000's.

I will post some more photo's (proof) when I get them from my clients. Even had a couple of nice shoal bass!

Attachments

• PXL_20220311_144916525.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220311_144916525.PORTRAIT.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20220311_135914976.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220311_135914976.PORTRAIT.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220311_154939405.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220311_154939405.PORTRAIT.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 42
Couple of more from the report.
I spent the last two days chasing shad. I got some the first day but zeroed the second.
I had to cancel a trip today, because of high water. But I am back after it tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will be as good!

Attachments

• email-3.jpg
    email-3.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 33
  • email-5.jpg
    email-5.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 33
The last two weeks the fishing has been good but not as consistent as I would like. Some days were tougher than others. And I have had to cancel a few trips for bad weather and bad conditions.

I fished with some old clients from out of town Sunday March 20th. The day started out good. We were catching so many hybrids that is was becoming predictable. Doubles were common. At one time the 30yo son got tangled and then shanghaied the fathers fishing rod with a fish on it. Fun stuff! A few more boats showed up and we decided to make a change, looking for bigger stripers At the second spot. The first couple of cast got bit and we landed a 12 pound striper. After that it was pretty slow. Just enough bites to keep us interested, and not to move to the third boat ramp. It's hard to complain about 30 fish days, But after the last trip I had big expectations.

The next few days I ran around the state looking to catch shad. The first time I caught them but I threw the net for almost 3.5 hours. Getting a couple a throw.
The second time I ended up in a rain storm and zeroed.
The third time I got them and I have about 900 of the biggest prettiest threadfins you have ever seen. They look like cigar minnows swimming around the tank!

I fished a couple of places this last weekend. A cold front with 20-30 mph winds and bluebird skies is not good fishing conditions. We still had a few nice hybrids and stripers both days.

Attachments

• email-1.jpg
    email-1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 25
  • email-2.jpg
    email-2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 27
  • email-3.jpg
    email-3.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 27
  • email-4.jpg
    email-4.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 28
  • email-5.jpg
    email-5.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 25
  • email-6.jpg
    email-6.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 28
Myself, my best friend and my nephew pulled the trigger and booked a river fishing trip with Capt Matt Robinson this past Saturday. What a day on the water he gave us! In all my years of fishing, I’ve never experienced fishing like this!

We started about 0730, cold and overcast. Matt had us on fish and we boated 3 in the first 10 minutes. After a little while, he wasn’t satisfied for us and said “I don’t give boat rides, let’s find some fish”. We moved about 30 yards and it was on!

For the next 3 hours, we landed fish after fish. As fast as he could get them off and have us rebaited. We had singles, doubles and triples! Matt was at times netting 2 fish at once. We caught a nice blue catfish, spotted bass, red eye bass, hybrid bass and striper. The vast majority were hybrids. I’m not talking 12” fish here. These were slabs! 2-4 lbs and give you a fight! Matt brought about 110 Shad and we ran through all he had. We even got down to reusing some of the mangled baits several times and caught fish. I would have to guess we caught between 80-100 fish! Our hands and shoulders were aching at the end. My best day fishing ever! Bucket list item for me for sure!

If you want a great day on the water with a fantastic guy and a hard working guide, do yourself a favor and give Matt a shout. Don’t wait! I cannot recommend him enough. He’s knowledgeable, professional and a cool dude to hang out with. The cost is more than reasonable. The 3 of us will be booking another trip with him this summer for striper! Thanks again Matt!

Attachments

• 9FAF0D53-7385-41AB-B7EC-B27D92D9BEE9.jpeg
    9FAF0D53-7385-41AB-B7EC-B27D92D9BEE9.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 0708D702-FFA1-4E5E-B257-077081B50E3A.jpeg
    0708D702-FFA1-4E5E-B257-077081B50E3A.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 19
  • 0F2387B2-E6BE-41E4-BFF3-52B12F47B8EF.jpeg
    0F2387B2-E6BE-41E4-BFF3-52B12F47B8EF.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 5B44BB83-3C0F-4E72-8A18-A3B758EA23C6.jpeg
    5B44BB83-3C0F-4E72-8A18-A3B758EA23C6.jpeg