• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishing Reports

Lol just fried some of them for lunch. Awesome eats! Marinated them in mustard, spices. Lightly floured, fried. Ate em hot! My wife loves them. A little “fish” taste but that makes it good. Not sure if there is a comparable. Maybe striped bass. Very white flesh.

Lol just fried some of them for lunch. Awesome eats! Marinated them in mustard, spices. Lightly floured, fried. Ate em hot! My wife loves them. A little “fish” taste but that makes it good. Not sure if there is a comparable. Maybe striped bass. Very white fles

Those hybrids good for eating? What are they comparable to? Thanks!

I am lucky enough to catch allot of snapper at the coast, and I am a fish snob. I like them better than almost any freshwater fish. By far the best eating freshwater fish is walleye. IMHO hybrids are way better than trout. Firm white meat, about like a spotted bass. I find crappie and catfish a little mushy. The little bit of fishy flavor usually comes from the bloodline. I cut most of that out. I usually bake them or pan fry them. My buddy swears by marinating them in franks red hot sauce and then batter and fry.

Personally I hate hybrids, but they give a great fight and might be in for some of those 20 lb'ers. Any bream or largemouth added in on your journeys?
Oh yeah, what all rivers do ya run?
They do put up a great fight. That is what got me addicted to striper / hybrid fishing. Having a fish that can take 100 yards of drag is scary but fun!

I have a few largemouth holes / spotted bass holes. I don't normally target them specifically but certain times of the year I could make a guide worthy trip for bass.

If I am going to go bream fishing I normally walk/wade the creeks with red worms. I am just having fun, not targeting eating size bream.

I mainly fish the hooch, from Buford dam down to Columbus and the Etowah / Coosa basin in Georgia. I also fish down at the coast allot (Offshore) and some other rivers around.

As mentioned the bloodline is the source of the fishy taste. I cut out all/most of that red stuff so that the fillets have no fishy flavor. I circled in purple a tiny streak of bloodline left in this snap. But if you cut yours you remember how large that bloodline is? Just cut it out and toss it in garden for fertilizer.
Yeah, I cut most of it out. Lol I don’t mind fish tasting like fish a little. I don’t really like the oily fish.

Back
Top Bottom