• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fitting a "hard fit" match grade 1911 barrel.

markj

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
95   0
Reaction score
When I started shooting NRA "Bullseye" ( now called "NRA Precision Pistol") a couple of years ago, my interest in 1911 Gunsmithing shifted primarily to accuracy. I still enjoy building custom guns, but Ive spent a lot of time reading and discussing barrel installation and have put countless rounds down range from a Ransom rest, fitting and re-fitting barrels, welding and machining frame rails, all in the quest for accuracy from a handgun.

I Thought I would share some pics of the tools and techniques I use. Everyone does it differently, this is only my process, and it is subject to change any moment, but I know there are some other ODT tinkerers who fit their own barrels and might enjoy seeing how someone else does it. I posted some of these pics in another forum as a review of the Weigand fixture, but I thought I would just do a overview of the process here.

I use Kart barrels and EGW bushings. EGW also makes some great tools, Like the hood length gauge. Without the EGW tool, its difficult to accurately measure the slide for the needed hood length of the barrel, EGW makes it easy.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_hood6_zpsttutbjgs.jpg

Next step is measure the opening in the slide for the hood at the breach face. I use calipers then verify with gauge pins.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_hood5_zpshsovyqts.jpg

Once Ive got the slide and barrel measurements, I figure out how much metal to remove from either side of the hood to make sure it fits perfectly in the slide and stays centered in the frame. I shim the lower lugs centered in the frame and use the Z axis display on the Mill to take this measurement. This one is critical, and the mill will measure to .0002"

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_hood1_zpskaa3az6z.jpg

Once everything is blueprinted, I can make the cuts. I use a Jack Weigand barrel fitting fixture for the mill cuts on the hood and lower lugs. It was an expensive tool, but for me, worth every penny.

First level and indicate the barrel in the fixture

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_hood3_zpskcebdfwl.jpg

Then make the cuts

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_hood4_zpstt0fzd8j.jpg

If all the measurements worked out, the barrel will fit into the slide with a slight press fit. We are looking for less than .001" hood to breach face and about .001" on either side. After the first few rounds are fired, it will seat itself with a friction free fit.

Now its on to the upper lugs. The idea here is to fit the upper lugs with .040"- .050" engagement. The firing pin hole should line roughly up with the center of the primer hole in an chambered empty case. I shoot for .045" with even contact (using transfer ink). Ive heard of some people setting upper lug engagement based solely on centering the firing pin on the primer. While its nice to get a perfect firing pin strike, this can be a dangerous path to follow. Chasing after a centered primer strike can lead to serious timing issues and battered/ peened lugs and frame. Proper lug engagement is key, the firing pin will be close if all else is correct.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_lugs1_zps4svz08eg.jpg

Now its time to fit the bushing. Im a huge fan of EGW angle bore bushings. Send them the measurements of your barrel and slide and you get a bushing set for the perfect 1 degree angle of lock up.

With the bushing installed and the barrel fixed in battery in the slide, I use a Wilson lug cutter with a undersize cutter. This will make the initial cut on the lugs level with the slide stop pin holes in the frame.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_feet1_zpsttbqrnar.jpg

Then I use gauge pins to verify how much more material needs to be removed at the mill.

The end result are lower lugs cut with an .080" flat, cut at a 1 deg. angle of lockup. An appropriate link is installed and the barrel timing is checked.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_feet2_zpsyftmjzx5.jpg

Here are the marks left on the slide stop pin after a few rounds

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_feet3_zpsmda76xik.jpg

Here are the results. my bullseye .45 (based on a Springfield Range Officer) is holding 1.7-1.8" 10 shot groups at 50 yards. I learned a while ago that getting 5 shots under 2" is great!..... getting another 5 shots in that group consistently, is the really hard part.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_wad1_zpswlgjnfon.jpg

Here is a 9mm Caspian with Kart barrel

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_9mm2_zpsvr60kimk.jpg

And finally, my personal favorite, 1943 Remington Rand. So, Does slide to frame fit effect accuracy? will a gun that rattles when you shake it still be accurate with a properly fit barrel? Ive had RIA 1911s that were fit tighter than this old guy, but it will hold a 2" group all day! Would a tight fit between the slide and frame improve the accuracy? sure it would, but it truly is the least important part of the equation. It feels great, and we expect nothing less on an expensive gun, but they will still preform without it.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_rand2_zpspwyw1aso.jpg

Well, there you have it. My goal is 1.5" 10 shot group. Im close but not quite there yet.... I don't have an FFL, so I only do this work on my own guns. I hope to start another build in a few months, but have to let the "gun fund" recover a bit.

Hopefully, the next build, using an STI slide and frame will get me the last .2" to get me to my goal....

Thanks for taking the time to share this difficult process in such detail. I have seen your posts on the other forum as well. What loads are you currently using?

Thanks,
My 50 yard .45 load is a "Nosler type" 185 grain JHP from Magnus Bullets over 4.5 grains of bullseye. .467 crimp, Winchester brass. I also use Swaged Lead 200 grain LSWC from Magnus Bullets. They group within .1" of the Noslers with 4.0 grains of BE.

Terry Labbe is the owner of Magnus Bullets. He is a NRA High Master level shooter, and an outstanding guy! he is just across the boarder in AL. These are, IMHO, some of the best bullets available. Terry knows what shoots!

The 9mm was Atlanta Arms JHP Match grade "black box"

Back
Top Bottom