• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Five Guns

Shotguns - Especially single shot will be a valuable SHTF commodity

I’ve acquired many $50 — $100 investments in this - along with cases and cases of buckshot

One scenario is trade

Another scenario would be arming your neighbors who didn’t prep - Arming them in such a way they can protect their stuff but not have enough firepower to take mine - Added bonus of every scavenger they eliminate is one that I don’t have to and an alert that the neighborhood is being probed etc . . .

In either case it’s so simple to operate a child can do it -

It gives the ability for even a novice shooter in my camp to guard a bedroom window or two or bunker up in a safe room

A cheap preparatory investment in any scenario

In the woods to scavenge - feed and defend my “One Gun” would be my — HR topper 12 ga. w/rifled slug barrel — With 9mm - 357mag - 22 Lr - 22 mag. Rifled Inserts - 20ga. & 410 conversion inserts— As well as a couple of all brass 12ga. Shells and primers - All the extras weigh very little and fit in a crown royal bag and take up virtually no space for the versatility benefit they provide

Don’t discount shotguns - They do have their merits

While shotguns aren't useless, they are very specialized to a few things (extreme close quarters combat, taking small fast game like birds and rabbits, breaching doors). They are a poor choice to hand out to inexperienced shooters or children due the high recoil (I'm assuming we're talking about 12ga which is the most common/cost efficient), low capacity, and constant need for reloading. Single shot shotguns are about the worst choice in defensive firearms that I can imagine, reliability is about the only thing going for them (they are cheap but pump shotguns are only a little more and provide far more usefulness).

On arming your unprepared neighbors: If you don't trust them with a rifle, you shouldn't trust them with a shotgun either. They can kill you just as dead with a shotgun, the standoff range of a rifle isn't going to matter as long as you consider them friendly and don't shoot them as they come over to visit.

On novice shooters: They'd be much better off with a high capacity semiauto rifle in 5.56/.223 (or heck even a 22LR). They'll be much better able to defend with an AR15 than a 12 gauge, higher capacity, less reloading, lower recoil. Not long about a young teen in FL killed a couple home invaders with a 10/22, 25 rounds of 22LR inbound is nothing to laugh at. Even a novice shooter with a semiauto rifle could suppress or pin down bad guys while the more experienced shooters/fighters move to flank them. You aren't suppressing anyone with a single shot 12ga. Also to consider are the range limitations of shotguns and the need to adjust aim for the drop, not a great plan for novices.

Why would you take a single shot shotgun and 47 caliber conversions to go out in the woods? Do you not plan on bringing ammo with you? You have very little defensive capability with a single shot, regardless of your ability to shoot a million different calibers. You'd be far better off with a suppressed 22LR pistol for small game and a 223/7.62x39/308 mag fed semiauto (AR15, AK, AR10, FAL, etc) for medium/big game and defensive use. The caliber conversion shotgun stuff is cool but not that useful...it's a much better plan to shoot common (and cost effective) calibers and keep stocked up on them vs. banking on scavenging ammo post SHTF. If there's ammo lying around, there'll most likely be guns lying around too (and dead bodies, because live people tend to take their **** with them).

I'd take a bolt action rifle over a single shot 12ga, if I had to choose between them.

ruger p89 9mm and a tank

crickett 22 light accurate good for small game and can be suppressed with a plastic bottle and some tape.

17 hmr good for small to medium game, can go out to 300 ish yards, very accurate,good for face shots on bad guys,ammo is super light,can be suppressed with a plastic bottle and tape.

ar 15 easy ammo,fairly accurate, great rate of fire, close confrontation problem solver

700 in 308 easy ammo, great for large game, out to 600 yards easy, solves problems at range..

but if i had to take just 2
p89 and 17hmr.

While shotguns aren't useless, they are very specialized to a few things (extreme close quarters combat, taking small fast game like birds and rabbits, breaching doors). They are a poor choice to hand out to inexperienced shooters or children due the high recoil (I'm assuming we're talking about 12ga which is the most common/cost efficient), low capacity, and constant need for reloading. Single shot shotguns are about the worst choice in defensive firearms that I can imagine, reliability is about the only thing going for them (they are cheap but pump shotguns are only a little more and provide far more usefulness).

On arming your unprepared neighbors: If you don't trust them with a rifle, you shouldn't trust them with a shotgun either. They can kill you just as dead with a shotgun, the standoff range of a rifle isn't going to matter as long as you consider them friendly and don't shoot them as they come over to visit.

On novice shooters: They'd be much better off with a high capacity semiauto rifle in 5.56/.223 (or heck even a 22LR). They'll be much better able to defend with an AR15 than a 12 gauge, higher capacity, less reloading, lower recoil. Not long about a young teen in FL killed a couple home invaders with a 10/22, 25 rounds of 22LR inbound is nothing to laugh at. Even a novice shooter with a semiauto rifle could suppress or pin down bad guys while the more experienced shooters/fighters move to flank them. You aren't suppressing anyone with a single shot 12ga. Also to consider are the range limitations of shotguns and the need to adjust aim for the drop, not a great plan for novices.

Why would you take a single shot shotgun and 47 caliber conversions to go out in the woods? Do you not plan on bringing ammo with you? You have very little defensive capability with a single shot, regardless of your ability to shoot a million different calibers. You'd be far better off with a suppressed 22LR pistol for small game and a 223/7.62x39/308 mag fed semiauto (AR15, AK, AR10, FAL, etc) for medium/big game and defensive use. The caliber conversion shotgun stuff is cool but not that useful...it's a much better plan to shoot common (and cost effective) calibers and keep stocked up on them vs. banking on scavenging ammo post SHTF. If there's ammo lying around, there'll most likely be guns lying around too (and dead bodies, because live people tend to take their **** with them).

I'd take a bolt action rifle over a single shot 12ga, if I had to choose between them.

You make some valid points and I appreciate the critique for consideration - i’m always interested in ferreting out any holes in my prep plan before it’s a life or death situation

Firstly I have all I need prior to this added layer of prep covering the issues that you noted

About 1/3 of my stash is 410 & 20ga with the rest being 12ga So youth and recoil has been considered - As well as reloading simplicity and function for the novice

Your neighbor comment is one that I have put an alot of thought into and I am not sure of the answer - I guess I’ll have to cross that bridge when I come to it on a case-by-case basis

As for my Topper kit — It’s not designed for combat but as for its intended use it is a minimalist Swiss Army knife system - Normally I’d only carry ammunition for the 12 & 410 along with .22 long and CB - This system for food isn’t theory for I’ve provided a wide variety of table-fare using it

Not the “best” firearm for squirrel rabbit coon possum quail dove grouse turkey hog bear deer cat dog BUT it will do em all if needed and I have & it’ll handle humans sufficiently enough as well but that portion is theory thus far

The rifle barrel opens up the pattern a little more than I like but it’s a trade I’m willing to make for the 12ga slug improvement in accuracy — I’ve learned to cope with the spread issue with relying more on the stalking aspects of hunting - A function that I would assume would be a necessity anyway in a SHTF scenario

The accessories really just provide ability to use scavenged items

Learning how to load the all brass shells in a primitive manor with recycled powder and take game was just plain fun regardless if I ever need to use the skill to survive

Kinda like making a solar still - black powder - colloidal silver - alcohol still or any other number of things that I decided to learn to do because I wanted to know that I knew what I knew - Trial and error along with practice is part of preparation in my book

You make some valid points and I appreciate the critique for consideration - i’m always interested in ferreting out any holes in my prep plan before it’s a life or death situation so opinions matter

Firstly I have all I need prior to this added layer of prep covering the issues that you noted

About 1/3 of my stash is 410 & 20ga with the rest being 12ga So youth and recoil has been considered - As well as reloading simplicity and function for the novice

Your neighbor comment is one that I have put an alot of thought into and I am not sure of the answer - I guess I’ll have to cross that bridge when I come to it on a case-by-case basis but at least I’ll have the option

As for my Topper kit — It’s not designed for combat but as for its intended use it is a minimalist Swiss Army knife system - Normally I’d only carry ammunition for the 12 & 410 along with .22 long and CB - This system for food isn’t theory for I’ve provided a wide variety of table-fare using it

Not the “best” firearm for squirrel rabbit coon possum quail dove grouse turkey hog bear deer cat dog BUT it will do em all if needed and I have & it’ll handle humans sufficiently enough as well but that portion is theory thus far

The rifle barrel opens up the pattern a little more than I like but it’s a trade I’m willing to make for the 12ga slug improvement in accuracy — I’ve learned to cope with the spread issue with relying more on the stalking and refining the still hunting aspects of hunting - A function that I would assume would be a necessity anyway in a SHTF scenario

The accessories really just provide ability to use scavenged items that come available

Learning how to load the all brass shells in a primitive manor with recycled powder and actually take game was just plain fun regardless if I ever need to use the skill to survive

Kinda like making a solar still - black powder - colloidal silver - alcohol still or any other number of things that I decided to learn to do because I wanted to know that I knew what I knew - Trial and error along with practice is part of preparation in my book

At any rate the couple thousand dollars I have invested can’t hurt - I can always sell out for what I’ve got in it and break even

What's all the shotguns for? If shtf I'm shooting birds and ducks and turkeys on the ground...with a rifle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I know this has been discussed and discussed, but from a prepper's perspective, if you could have only 5 guns to get you through an extended event, what would they be and why?

1.-5. My BHP & my non nfa sbr stock .
Because old Belgian stuff was made correctly out of the box.
shoulder stock.jpg

Of the guns I've got:

AR
G19
CZ 452 because it will feed anything and the semi-autos won't
CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39

Back
Top Bottom