• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flat tire

Tire repair is a touchy subject in larger chains due to the aforementioned litigious nature of humans in America. The smaller guys risk it because it is a revenue source.

Tire plug kits commonly sold are only recommended for trailer tires and non highway use tires. Read the packaging.

Just think how one repairs a puncture with a plug. They stand over the tire at a 90 degree angle, stick the rasp in and clean the hole. Then stick, at a 90 degree angle again, the sticky plug in to the enlarged hole to block air from coming out.

BUT, chances are the item that created the hole (nail, screw, staple, etc ) more than likely did not go in at a 90 degree angle. So now, when the person sticks the rasp in to clean at a 90 degree angle, another hole is created and thus there is another channel for air and moisture to attack the steel cords and slowly rust out the steel belts in the tire. Over time, these rusted belt spots will weaken the tire and cause a possible tire failure.

This is why most tire manufacturers do not warranty any tires for workmanship and material defects if the tire has ANY repairs done to it.

you had to pay for another certificate in order for the replacement tire to be covered.... I've been using Discount / America tire for over 20 years. The tire in question came on my new truck so it doesn't have the certs from Discount.
Correct, their price with the cert was $5 per tire more than than the cheapest price I could find anywhere else. I figured the $20 was worth it and sure enough, it paid dividends almost immediately. I've had the worst luck with the tires on this car. Out of the 4 OEM tires, only 1 made it to tread life. Lost 1 to a prison shank at 5k, 1 to a pothole at 12k and 1 to a mystery metal chunk on 85 at 20k. That last one soldiered on to 66k. $185 per shot hurt and having to shave a new tire to better match tread for an AWD added salt to the wound.

Correct, their price with the cert was $5 per tire more than than the cheapest price I could find anywhere else. I figured the $20 was worth it and sure enough, it paid dividends almost immediately. I've had the worst luck with the tires on this car. Out of the 4 OEM tires, only 1 made it to tread life. Lost 1 to a prison shank at 5k, 1 to a pothole at 12k and 1 to a mystery metal chunk on 85 at 20k. That last one soldiered on to 66k. $185 per shot hurt and having to shave a new tire to better match tread for an AWD added salt to the wound.
I always buy the certs when I get new tires. I've used it one time and it saved me a ton of cash. I like Discount Tire but this is the first time they wouldn't patch a tire. They did take the spare tire off and mount it on the aluminum wheel. I will try to find a shop close by who will patch the tire and use it as a spare.

Back
Top Bottom