• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FLC, War Belt, & non PC loadouts

NAJ329

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Anyone else prefer to run loadouts without armor?

I completely understand why many want armor for obvious reasons, but who out there would rather stay lighter, faster, and cooler?

This is the chat for the chest rig, battle belt, milsurp FLC guys and their philosophy.

I get it. And I’m going to build a micro chest rig for travel and the same thought process. But truth be told, if I’m in a situation where I think I need a rifle and a reload, I probably want to be at least bullet reaistant.

That said, this load out is about 41 pounds all together. Armor is only ~5 of that

Attachments

• 3FFB59E7-CD54-4CF6-90A4-6AF9C904C582.jpeg
    3FFB59E7-CD54-4CF6-90A4-6AF9C904C582.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 14
I get it. And I’m going to build a micro chest rig for travel and the same thought process. But truth be told, if I’m in a situation where I think I need a rifle and a reload, I probably want to be at least bullet reaistant.

That said, this load out is about 41 pounds all together. Armor is only ~5 of that
I personally don't care what anyone uses or prefers, but I used to be must have armor guy.. then after having armor and seeing how much other stuff I feel I would need I moved away from it.

My philosophy is to avoid a gunfight altogether, but if it happens...use cover(not saying you want a gunfight). I've considered the pros and cons to plates. I've taken carbine courses with full kit. I've also been nearly the best in shape guy at a class and still was not enjoying life in a vest.
My thinking is I'm less likely to be a casualty if I avoid over heating, stay faster, and less fatigue if I ditch armor. If needed, i can replace that weight with other supplies such as water, food, and medical.

Again I'm nit here to say anyone is right or wrong. Just getting the discussion going.

I personally don't care what anyone uses or prefers, but I used to be must have armor guy.. then after having armor and seeing how much other stuff I feel I would need I moved away from it.

My philosophy is to avoid a gunfight altogether, but if it happens...use cover(not saying you want a gunfight). I've considered the pros and cons to plates. I've taken carbine courses with full kit. I've also been nearly the best in shape guy at a class and still was not enjoying life in a vest.
My thinking is I'm less likely to be a casualty if I avoid over heating, stay faster, and less fatigue if I ditch armor. If needed, i can replace that weight with other supplies such as water, food, and medical.

Again I'm nit here to say anyone is right or wrong. Just getting the discussion going.
Avoidance is clearly best. But in September my next door neighbor became an active shooter with a rifle and killed 2 cops on my front yard. Nice community, half million dollar homes, no priors.

In the next few seconds I was very glad I had a set of light but bullet resistant plates to don and wear between this dip$h*t and my toddlers.

Didn’t need them and we also took cover/concealment but still I was the one posted up at the stairs in case he decided to flee through our house, which was the logical escape.

Avoidance is clearly best. But in September my next door neighbor became an active shooter with a rifle and killed 2 cops on my front yard. Nice community, half million dollar homes, no priors.

In the next few seconds I was very glad I had a set of light but bullet resistant plates to don and wear between this dip$h*t and my toddlers.

Didn’t need them and we also took cover/concealment but still I was the one posted up at the stairs in case he decided to flee through our house, which was the logical escape

:eek: that's pretty nuts! (And a good point) did he suicide, surrender, or cops take him out?

What did you do with the family?

:eek: that's pretty nuts! (And a good point) did he suicide, surrender, or cops take him out?

What did you do with the family?
I got the wife and kids to the safe room, armored up, posted by door with SBR. Called it in to 911 and gave descriptions, etc. We then decided the safe room we has was on the side of the house closest to bad guy, so I posted up at top of stairs and ran kids (4 and 7) to the far side of the house, in a closet, behind water bottles and like 15 walls (including brick) from bad guys and outside police if they had started shooting. Gave wife a Henry 357 since she's not a gun person and said "it's a red ryder but louder".

SWAT showed up and did a surround and call out, eventually getting 2 guys out of the house. Continued for a few hours until they tear gas an MRAPed the house almost to the ground. No additional shots fired and guys surrendered. The shooter is doing 3x life + 80 years + no parole or clemency, and the other guy is in jail awaiting trial.

Back
Top Bottom