• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly Fishing Thread .....

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
I cant get enough of fly fishing.

I never thought I would be a convert but its just a outrageously addictive sport.

I am starting this thread for all of us and those of you who love, like or are interested in Fly Fishing.

Post up questions, Places to fly fish, Thoughts, Equipment pics, Fish pics and tales of adventure!

(Here is my new rig I got off of FB marketplace for a ridiculous price. )

c4143d39-6f0a-4041-8ae2-d00498db4b2f-jpeg.2268029

Jack's River. I'm not a fan of the hooch and I hate fishing in a group of folks that are loaded down in 2k worth of Orvis gear by the bridge in Blairsville. Most trout waters in GA are too small for fly fishing. Lucky if you can roll cast in some of those spots. I end up using my emmrod ultralight most of the time. I'll alternate between bait, lures and flies that I'll hand toss into current. Jack's river is great though. I really want to hit a couple rivers in Kentucky. Seen some pics of trout that makes anything I've caught here look like a minnow. I've taken the yak down the etowah a couple times and that was fun but the water was moving a bit fast for fly fishing from the yak.

Jack's River. I'm not a fan of the hooch and I hate fishing in a group of folks that are loaded down in 2k worth of Orvis gear by the bridge in Blairsville. Most trout waters in GA are too small for fly fishing. Lucky if you can roll cast in some of those spots. I end up using my emmrod ultralight most of the time. I'll alternate between bait, lures and flies that I'll hand toss into current. Jack's river is great though. I really want to hit a couple rivers in Kentucky. Seen some pics of trout that makes anything I've caught here look like a minnow. I've taken the yak down the etowah a couple times and that was fun but the water was moving a bit fast for fly fishing from the yak.

Some of the best fly fishing I have done was on the Guadalupe River just south of Austin, Tx. It's the southern most trout stream in the nation. It's the tailwaters of Canyon Lake
The trout are huge, it's common to catch 20-24" fish.

We used to hike Jack's River Trail end to end and fish along the way. Tough fishing, but my buddy caught the biggest brown trout I have ever seen in person below the falls. This was 30 yrs ago, I hear the area has changed the past few years. We would spend a week and never see another person.

Back
Top Bottom