• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly Fishing Thread .....

Years ago I would fish a farm pond in Cave Springs that had catalpa worm trees planted on the dam. The blue gill would sit under and wait for one to drop and the water would explode!

I have a little 6' 2 wt rod that I used. I would tie a fly using black and yellow yarn on a long shank hook. We called the blue gills 2 handers because they were as big as both your hands together. They were so big you could fillet them.

Unfortunately, for me, the guy sold the land and the new owners were not as generous with allowing people to fish there.

Didn't mean to post yet.

I would rather fish that pond than just about anywhere. Hauling in one of those fish on that small flyrod was like pulling in a tarpon.

More often than not, a 3-4 lb largemouth would take the fly and then it was really on!

Castings distances?

Lately I've been reading about casting further. On some of the forums, people are throwing around numbers that seem a bit ridiculous. Which got me thinking, how are they measuring these distances?

For example, if they say they cast 50' are they saying the fly lands 50' away from where they are standing? Are they including the length of the the 9' rod and 9' leader? So they are really only throwing the fly line 30ish feet? Or is the fly line going 50'?

How do you guys measure your distances?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Castings distances?

Lately I've been reading about casting further. On some of the forums, people are throwing around numbers that seem a bit ridiculous. Which got me thinking, how are they measuring these distances?

For example, if they say they cast 50' are they saying the fly lands 50' away from where they are standing? Are they including the length of the the 9' rod and 9' leader? So they are really only throwing the fly line 30ish feet? Or is the fly line going 50'?

How do you guys measure your distances?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Its weird I never have huge casts on the water. I seem to only have huge casts in my front yard.

Catfish on the fly yesterday . Hit a barbless copper John.

3C2AE8CE-46E4-47AB-9314-A6783ECE1143.jpeg

Its weird I never have huge casts on the water. I seem to only have huge casts in my front yard.
It all depends on the situation. I have made casts up to around 75-80ft when out fishing and in competitions. It is mainly done when throwing streamers on sinking lines or sink tips. So I will do super long casts and strip the line all the way back to the leader.

Measuring distance is usually guess work. That said it is easier to do then you might think. If you know the length of your fly line (usually 90-105ft) then as you get to the end of the line you can guess how much line you aren't casting. A single loop on most arbors is around 9-12 in per wrap. So the number of wraps. Plus amount between rod tip and reel, subtracted from total line length.

<——————— this guy

Reads kayaking thread buys kayaks
Reads metal detecting thread buys metal detector
Reading fly fishing thread now….

<——————— this guy

Reads kayaking thread buys kayaks
Reads metal detecting thread buys metal detector
Reading fly fishing thread now….

My schedule is nutty, but if you want to learn then let me know. I used to be a competitive fly fisherman. So have a lot of equipment, and spent a lot of time learning different techniques. Also tie flies as well, so have some unique stuff you can just go out and buy.

Back
Top Bottom