• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly Fishing Thread .....

Ok so 5 weight rod appears to be the go to beginner all around rod it looks like. Say I hook a 5lb bass or a 3-4 lb spot. Is that enough rod to get the job done. Is the week link the leader line? Can I bump that up to 10lb test? Give me a comparable. 5wt fly rod is like running 8-10 lb test on a light spinning rod, or is it more like running 4-6 on an ultra lite. I want to throw a fly at a lilly pad edge I fish a lot in the summer. Many 2lb bass to be caught, lots of hand size gills but I also catch bass in the 3-5 lb range dang almost every trip. Will those bigger fish just break me off? I know if the go in the pads I’m screwed but the bigger fish tend to run to open water most of the time.

I fish almost every weekend on a pond or on Lanier. I don’t get to trout fish but maybe 2-3 times a year. I’m thinking 5 might handle what I do most and still be light enough for the river the few times I get there. I’ve got a rod for every bait and I can clearly see that’s where fly fishing goes as well but I want to be versatile as possible in the beginning. Cause right now I’m still lying to myself and saying I only need one fly rod.

Alright so scratch 5 weight. Looks like I’m going to need to go 7-8 to do what I do the most of.
Not really. A 5wt will do a lot. Just use the right leader and tippet weight for the fishing you're doing. For perspective, I use an 8wt for my general purpose Striper and Salt water rod. I'd cast to a Bull Red with that 8wt without hesitation. I've caught a lot of 3 and 4 pound Largemouth on 4wt and never felt overmatched.

Get a fast rod. Easier to cast heavy wind resistant flies.

Also, you get what you pay for in a flyrod. You can fish a cheap rod after you learn to beat it into submission, or get a nice rod, use a little technique and relax.

Alright so scratch 5 weight. Looks like I’m going to need to go 7-8 to do what I do the most of.
My son is a guide in Alaska. He uses a 7 wt most of the time when he is salmon fishing.
As Bear44 Bear44 mentioned, a 4 wt with the correct line /leader combo will easily land 5-6 lb bass. I would stick with a 5 wt 9' if I were you.
25086.jpeg

I could see this being an issue if the water temp was high, you keep them out of the water too long or you are fighting them for a long time on very light gear. Those last two would apply regardless of temperature.

Typically, if you handle them properly it's not going to be a problem.

Where the issues arises with trout in hot water is due to the oxygen content of the water. As the temperature of the water rises its ability to hold dissolved oxygen drops. This is typically why private waters and public trophy waters shut down when the water starts to hit 70 degrees.

My son is a guide in Alaska. He uses a 7 wt most of the time when he is salmon fishing.
As Bear44 Bear44 mentioned, a 4 wt with the correct line /leader combo will easily land 5-6 lb bass. I would stick with a 5 wt 9' if I were you.
View attachment 3318185

Most of the guys in the competition world use 2wt and 3wt rods. Which this is for fish that at times will be 25+in long and easily 8lbs each.

Where the issues arises with trout in hot water is due to the oxygen content of the water. As the temperature of the water rises its ability to hold dissolved oxygen drops. This is typically why private waters and public trophy waters shut down when the water starts to hit 70 degrees.

This is what I have been hearing around my new neck of the woods....err...river.

Ok ordered a 5wt. I think I might like buying fishing stuff as much or more than fishing
Never forget that the first job of a fishing lure is not to catch fish, it's to catch fishermen.

I just ordered some more, myself. Fishing videos on YouTube are not your friend. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom