• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly rod for red fish on SGI?

ch035

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
101   0
Reaction score
Hi All,
Looking for suggestions on what 8wt to buy for walking the beach fishing for reds. Any suggestions on spots to hit on SGI and fly selection are greatly appreciated. If you’ve got an 8wt set up collecting dust please shoot me a pm.

Hi All,
Looking for suggestions on what 8wt to buy for walking the beach fishing for reds. Any suggestions on spots to hit on SGI and fly selection are greatly appreciated. If you’ve got an 8wt set up collecting dust please shoot me a pm.

If you have access to the Cut try the rocks on the beach side from about halfway on out to the end where the current coming out of the bay forms an eddy. The reds probe the rocks looking for dinner. I've seen some that seem as big as the rocks but they are pretty finicky. The smaller ones are a little easier to catch. The trout and ladyfish will keep you busy and are a lot of fun to catch too. Be careful on the rocks and be sure and wear shoes with a good grip. Good luck and post pics!

If you have access to the Cut try the rocks on the beach side from about halfway on out to the end where the current coming out of the bay forms an eddy. The reds probe the rocks looking for dinner. I've seen some that seem as big as the rocks but they are pretty finicky. The smaller ones are a little easier to catch. The trout and ladyfish will keep you busy and are a lot of fun to catch too. Be careful on the rocks and be sure and wear shoes with a good grip. Good luck and post pics!

You can't get to the rocks now. Hurricane Michael opened a channel between the east jetty and the island. It is almost 20 ft deep at one point from what I have seen.

Here is a pic.
Capture.JPG

Back
Top Bottom