• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FN introduces the 509

Bushwhacker

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Unmitigated Badassery
119   0
Reaction score
Been in the works for awhile but finally introduced to public. Initial reports are that it is a refined FNS which is a great gun and highly underrated. I, personally am looking forward to trying one out. It and the CZ P10. I know a lot of folks like to hate on FN and some things are warranted (Hard to get parts, accessory availability, cost of mags), similar to HK, but the engineering and quality can't be denied.

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fn-509/

FNS was/is a very nice pistol. I always had an issue that I would hit the mag release while firing because it stuck out so much. Looks like this model has it more streamlined. Might have to try it out.

I like the FN pistols a lot; both the FNX and FNS.

In the recent CBP trials for a new handgun, the final 2 contestants were the SIG P320 and the FN FNS. CBP went with the P320 in the end, but I believe a good bit of that was because of the modularity of the P320.

I've been carrying an FNS Compact on a daily basis ever since I traded into a full-size and loved it. I also have the long slide because.... FNS.

The only downside to these was the trigger. It's not horrendous, especially for a carry gun, but I was really disappointed when Apex decided it was too much of a hassle to create an upgrade kit.

The 509 looks interesting. Hopefully they'll have a selection at NRA tomorrow.

Reviving this after seeing the FN 509 (really?) at NRAAM.

I will say I liked the mag release better than the one on the FNS, especially the low-profile ones on the Compact. Other than that, the new frame was OK but not a huge difference ergonomically from the older gun.

When I commented that the trigger felt the same, the told me it was basically the FNS trigger cleaned up slightly. The big changes were in the slide it seems, with a heavier barrel, beefier extractor, and a heavy-duty slide. Of course (as he also admitted) that beefier slide means that none of the FNS holster will fit it.

I don't see this as something I'll be switching to as a carry gun, although if I was buying for a whole police force it might be interesting.

The one good piece of news was from the Apex booth.

When I was talking with a rep there I saw the 509 in the display. He told me that FN had worked with them for the last 6 months or so to make sure there was an upgraded trigger available for it.

When I said 'there goes any chance of you guys going back and making one for the FNS series', he simply said 'we did... these are backwards compatible'.

Big FN fan here. I was checking out the 509 this weekend and it looked OK, and felt good, but didn't really excite me. I would like to shoot one. It points very naturally. The FN guys I talked with were excellent, and knowledgeable. I would have spent more time checking out the 509 if I hadn't been so distracted by their M4 and M16 replicas.

Big FN fan here. I was checking out the 509 this weekend and it looked OK, and felt good, but didn't really excite me. I would like to shoot one. It points very naturally. The FN guys I talked with were excellent, and knowledgeable. I would have spent more time checking out the 509 if I hadn't been so distracted by their M4 and M16 replicas.

Word from a couple of my FN cronies is that the out of box accuracy is superb. Much better than the FNS which to me wasn't to shabby.

I too really felt the mag release is MUCH improved

Reactions: MRH
Did not like the trigger. Dry fired 4 and all were gritty.
The Roger American trigger was the best next to the Kimber 357 revolver.

Back
Top Bottom