• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FNX owners speak...

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering picking up an FNX 45. I've just been drawn to this pistol since I held one over a year ago but have never fired one and my LGS doesn't have one in stock for me to fondle again.

My only concern is the safety/decocker.

My experience is about 50/50 between carrying 1911s and poly pistols with out a safety.

If I carried hammer back safety up. Draw and sweep the safety down... How likely am I to sweep it to far down to decocker? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks yall

FN’s new FNX 45 is a DA/SA design with the usual long first shot trigger pull followed by a very nice single action trigger. The ambidextrous thumb safety serves as both a de-cocker as well as a manual safety like the 1911. The pistol can be carried in what we 1911 shooters call condition 1. When depressing the safety the shooter has to make sure they don’t depress it to hard or they will de-cock the pistol.

Because of that it doesn't sound like a pistol for carry for me.
Stressed with my adrenaline pumping, I'm pretty sure I'll depress it pretty hard and de-cock the pistol....

I have carried a pistol something like this for work, years ago.
I found it better to leave the safety off and pull the hammer to the half clock notch.
This way the double action for that first round wasn't so tough.

I have the tactical version. When I have it on me I don't cock the hammer. I'm used to it though. If I had to choose 1 weapon it would be this. Best weapon I have ever used.

I've got the Tac version that I like to shoot suppressed. Nice gun, but it is thick (15 45's in the mag will do that). I normally carry a 1911, so I no5ice the width.

I have the FNX 40. I don't have a problem with the first round D/A. I prefer it actually. Everybody's different. Without a doubt, I shoot the best with the FNX than any other handgun I own. It just fits me. I also have an FNS 40c that's easier to carry but I don't shoot it as well as the X.

I don't think you are missing much OP. The safety/de-cocker is a crappy design imo.
biker_bill biker_bill

The more I think about I think you guys are right. This pistol might make a fine range toy but its not suitable for carry.

I cant risk decocking my pistol while I try to take the safety off in a life or death situation.

There's several successful manufacturers that produce DA/SA hammer fired handguns sold to military and police around the world. You train for the safety on a 1911 and you'd train for the DA pull followed by SA. Switching back and forth could be a problem but familiarity and trigger time is needed for anything you carry.
If you always carry decocked you don't have to worry about it

Back
Top Bottom