• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food plot question

Whitey

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
Will whole feed corn sprout and grow, or have they done something magic to it that keeps it from growing? Would like to plant about an acre and that seems like the simple answer.

You have to soak it in water for a 3 to 5 days, then some will germinate and grow. Found that out in our hog traps.

Best thing is sunflower seeds. Scratch the ground some and scatter. Rains will make it grow. Deer LOVE the greens that result.

I plant jointvetch in the summer and spread corn out in the plot for the vetch to grow on. You have to cover the corn or something will eat it. It grows fine as long as you get rain. If I plant for eating at the house I will soak it first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quick answer based on my experience - some corn feed corn will grow from kernel. When you buy the corn it depends on how it was harvested and processed. You could chance it, but I'd rather plant something I know is going to bring deer.

If you're really curious, maybe put in a feed plot with a 20x20 patch to test it, and do the rest as something you know will work?

I like wheat, oats, rye.

Something like this runs about $30/50lb and you could do an acre with about 100 lbs.
That acre would yield about 7,000 lbs./acre dry weight feed.

I'd try something like this:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...ting - Wildlife Management&utm_content=327425

QDMA has a great article on using this type of food.

https://www.qdma.com/cereal-rye-deer/

Good luck - Let everyone know if you decide to do the feed corn! I'd be curious to see what the results are.

Iron clay peas, soy beans, deer greens, turnip greens, collard greens, sugar beets, corn planted, sweet potatoes,and of course, giant pea nuts. Wheat and oats on the sides and about 6 rows of planted corn inside of the oats, and wheat.

Then you will have a buffet that they can not stay away from...

Good luck, just before a rain put 19-19-19 on the plot and the seed will jump very fast...

Back
Top Bottom