• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food plots

If you can open the canopy to get sunlight that will help more than most things.

i tried chicory this past fall small spot pure chicory and t( rest mixed with clover.

will keep you all posted

We plant turnips and sugar beets before deer season and found out they will continue to grow till the spring green up. We feed protein and corn after that. Always have a salt or mineral block for them to lick on.

If you can open the canopy to get sunlight that will help more than most things.

i tried chicory this past fall small spot pure chicory and t( rest mixed with clover.

will keep you all posted

Going to take the small trees out and limb up the bigger ones to help try and get some more light to come through

I plant and maintain hunting acreage for a living and find that most hunters dont express the difference between a food plot and a "kill plot". A food plot is for growing wildlife (or antlers) and is big enough to handle heavy feeding pressure, a kill plot usually gets annihilated several times a year. If your site is small enough that you are struggling to sun on the ground then it probably wont make it as a food plot and will get mowed down after the seedlings reach 3 -4 inches by deer ,rabbits ,squirrels. A small plot is best used by timing your germination for key times to attract deer or turkeys to your plot. Also try to plant something that offers nutrients that are not abundant in your area. Good luck

Your not gonna get anything to grow. Wait till it cools off and throw out rye Grass. It will be up in 3 days and it will grow through hunting season. Not much in nutrition but they will eat it .
They stay in mine constantly during season. That’s all I plant anymore

Did rye last year they didn’t touch it until in February. Trying to find a good food source other then corn.
I have planted other stuff in past but they stay on the rye grass better than anything else I have done. It may have something to do with my spot as it’s not the best ground to plant but the rye does good

Hunting: the act of tracking, looking for sign, establishing a current game trail and setting a stand and wait for intended game to come into shooting distance. Everything thing else is just killing deer. Corn feeders, food plots, salt licks are baiting and shooting animals no experience or knowledge necessary. You just get good at growing clover or alfalfa. I can't and won't condone this activity. It is cheating. Those jokers on TV sitting on a nice comfy chair in a large blind on the edge of a food plot with a pair of shooting forks makes me want to puke. That is all!

Back
Top Bottom