• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food Storage Help. Canned Red Wheat and Textured Vegetable Protein.

BLIP

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
STOCKS REFINISHED
657   1
Reaction score
I picked up some stuff from a man who passed recently. In Military issue and sealed cans there was some food. The products are not dated but the cans are airtight.
Among the items were a few cans of Red Wheat that were packed and sealed with CO2 per the label in 33lb cans, but the TVP were in the 17.5 gallon sealed cans. It appears to be OK. I opened one to make sure there was not a funky smell or mold. I have over 200lbs of the tvp and the stuff is not cheap. Do you think it is fair to assume it is edible? I would keep a can for myself and that leaves 175lbs of potential chicken or livestock feed Annie Annie ...

I do not want it to go to waste and I would sell it by the can cheap.... I bough the cans.

In addition there are some dried beans, dried milk, noodles and some other stuff. I am hoping someone can use it for their pigs or something if anyone is in need of the beans, milk, noodles or milk. Maybe 100 lbs or more of these.

Attachments

• 20230220_181844.jpg
    20230220_181844.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230220_175712.jpg
    20230220_175712.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230220_175722.jpg
    20230220_175722.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230220_163522.jpg
    20230220_163522.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 19
I picked up some stuff from a man who passed recently. In Military issue and sealed cans there was some food. The products are not dated but the cans are airtight.
Among the items were a few cans of Red Wheat that were packed and sealed with CO2 per the label in 33lb cans, but the TVP were in the 17.5 gallon sealed cans. It appears to be OK. I opened one to make sure there was not a funky smell or mold. I have over 200lbs of the tvp and the stuff is not cheap. Do you think it is fair to assume it is edible? I would keep a can for myself and that leaves 175lbs of potential chicken or livestock feed Annie Annie ...

I do not want it to go to waste and I would sell it by the can cheap.... I bough the cans.

In addition there are some dried beans, dried milk, noodles and some other stuff. I am hoping someone can use it for their pigs or something if anyone is in need of the beans, milk, noodles or milk. Maybe 100 lbs or more of these.
Contact the manufacturers and give them the Lot numbers to find out when they were made and for how long.

Contact the manufacturers and give them the Lot numbers to find out when they were made and for how long.
You lead me in the right direction on the RED WHEAT... it is packaged for the LDS Church...
Here is what the say...

Ingredients: Hard Red Wheat, Contains Wheat.

Shelf life: Estimated shelf life of 30 years. Estimate assumes storage in a cool, dry place (below 75 degrees Fahrenheit).

Bontrae was developed in the late 60's by General Mills. They shut down their mill in 1976 and sold the name and production licenses to Central Soya, who in turn abandoned production in the early 80's, so that TVP you have is probably nearly 40 years old - so the fact it's missing a lot number doesn't matter that much.

Those Civil Defense cans must be really old like 50 years or more?

Back
Top Bottom