• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food vacuum sealer, who does it? Opinion? Pros / cons?

I do not season or marinade until i thaw to cook the next day….. i will thaw the meat , sometimes in the fridge a day or two. Sometimes will thaw in the sink and marinade overnight in the fridge to cook the next day.
You can marinade and vacume seal the marinade in for a few hours and it tastes good. The vacume helps suck the spices/marinade in the meat pretty quick. Its usually ready within a couple hours.
I have tried manrinade, etc then freeze and when you thaw and cook later the marinade and all is kinda strong.
Generally a couple of hours is sufficient, overnight is better. I will dust with meat tenderizer before seal and freeze, kinda lightly. Then when i thaw to cook, marinade and spice when ready to cook.
Good luck with your search and purchase. Check into a dehydrator too ! (You will learn how to make some great jerky) :)
Ohhhh gotcha

That makes sense.

Yes a dehydrator was on my radar for a while.
My parents and grandparents used to make deer jerky every year. They were in a constant battle for the best recipe!

Ohhhh gotcha

That makes sense.

Yes a dehydrator was on my radar for a while.
My parents and grandparents used to make deer jerky every year. They were in a constant battle for the best recipe!
Yeah, my brothers and i done the same….used my dad as the “judge” for the best jerky.
I will use NYstrip steak to smoke and dry jerky. There are lots of tips, tricks you can learn. Like how long you cook/smoke the meat, etc., to vie for the winning vote between us three ! :cool:

Thanks for all the great info guys!!

Another question:
What is the average time you are getting out of your stored meats? Veggies? Etc?

I know there will be variables, but generally how long can you keep a package of ground deer or hamburger?
Steak?
Chicken breast?
(That’s 90% of our freezer)

Anything random you vacuum seal and store?
I was reading earlier that a woman put all her dry goods - flour and beans and rice and pastas
vacuum sealed in the freezer.

Yeah, my brothers and i done the same….used my dad as the “judge” for the best jerky.
I will use NYstrip steak to smoke and dry jerky. There are lots of tips, tricks you can learn. Like how long you cook/smoke the meat, etc., to vie for the winning vote between us three ! :cool:
Haha
Yup

It was like a Cold War Spy VS Spy scenario during those competitions…
One would come up with a new secret recipe and the other would try to figure out the recipe from taste and then improve on it.

Or if one saw a random ingredient in the others fridge (soy Sauce for example) then that was the alleged secret jerky ingredient.
And it just kept going.
Haha

Haha
Yup

It was like a Cold War Spy VS Spy scenario during those competitions…
One would come up with a new secret recipe and the other would try to figure out the recipe from taste and then improve on it.

Or if one saw a random ingredient in the others fridge (soy Sauce for example) then that was the alleged secret jerky ingredient.
And it just kept going.
Haha
Sounds like we used to do….lol.
It was usually pretty fun. All 3 of us made great jerky each time. All of us would win at one time or another.
My dad got to where he would come up with some kind of prize - he would come off with a nice gun or knife he planned on giving us anyhow by inheritance. It became a pretty darned stiff comp.
My dad even got to where he would call a friend over to help with the judging ;)

I bought a vacuum sealer, slicer & a dehydrator on Amazon. All were inexpensive and they all worked very well. I went back and bought the arm heat sealer for mylar bags. I also got the jar sealer separately. As for bags I use the cheap ones on Amazon. A few will leak but usually show up in the first few minutes and I just rebag & reseal. Don't forget the oxygen absorbers & moisture absorbers. Educate yourself when NOT to use them.

Back
Top Bottom