• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food vacuum sealer, who does it? Opinion? Pros / cons?

My friend does it up here and she swears the food can be kept frozen for two years. I am going to get one here pretty soon. It's worth it
Yeah I’m it’s still good for 2,3,4 years.
I’m sure some stuff will keep even longer!

I’m sure someone has a pack of deer meat from 2012 in the bottom of their freezer.

Go ahead and let that baby defrost tomorrow, cook it up (shooter preference on meal/dish) and give us a 10 year review!!

I bought a vacuum sealer, slicer & a dehydrator on Amazon. All were inexpensive and they all worked very well. I went back and bought the arm heat sealer for mylar bags. I also got the jar sealer separately. As for bags I use the cheap ones on Amazon. A few will leak but usually show up in the first few minutes and I just rebag & reseal. Don't forget the oxygen absorbers & moisture absorbers. Educate yourself when NOT to use them.

Wow you are practically a Publix deli!
You just need the fried chicken.

When you say Mylar bags and oxygen/moisture absorbers are you talking about just sealing what you have in a food storage bucket (like beans / rice/ etc) or are you using Mylar bags for vacuum seal too?

Because I want to get into that too.
I want to store some buckets of food, eventually…

Great looking freezer!
That’s what my wife is going for.
She is super organized and OCD about certain things so the ability to package food for maximum storage and “cuteness” (as she calls it) will make her happy.

Now I have to start researching more freezers!

Do you happen to know what brand you use from Amazon?
I’m just curious if you have one you prefer or just use whatever is available or on sale?
We use the Syntus bags from Amazon

My wife bought a sealer from Amazon and we have used it it a few times. To me, it's alright but it is a pain in the arse if you do not have the counter space. If you do not, lay it out before going shopping and be prepared for and hour or two when you get home. I usually just use Ziploc freezer bags and the food will last a year and i write dates on everything. I rotate my stock every time I shop and store.

My wife bought a sealer from Amazon and we have used it it a few times. To me, it's alright but it is a pain in the arse if you do not have the counter space. If you do not, lay it out before going shopping and be prepared for and hour or two when you get home. I usually just use Ziploc freezer bags and the food will last a year and i write dates on everything. I rotate my stock every time I shop and store.
Yeah
We have maxed out our counter space with mixers and bread makers and whatever gizmo and gadget my wife thought was a great idea.

So finding space will be her problem.

Maybe just set up shop on the kitchen table after shopping tricks and see how that goes.

Our biggest problem was pulling it out to do it. The machine, bags and meat. I just shoved them in Ziplocs with a date. NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!

interview-talk.gif

Wow you are practically a Publix deli!
You just need the fried chicken.

When you say Mylar bags and oxygen/moisture absorbers are you talking about just sealing what you have in a food storage bucket (like beans / rice/ etc) or are you using Mylar bags for vacuum seal too?

Because I want to get into that too.
I want to store some buckets of food, eventually…
Mylar bags don't seem fit to vacuum seal for a couple of reasons. First they don't have the embossed side that let's the machine remove the air. Secondly, the mylar just isn't tough enough to withstand rips if tossed around.
I have used vacuum sealed bags inside of the mylar bags just as a trial but haven't opened them yet so can't give an opinion.
I can say that the large arm type mylar sealer will pay for itself by resealing bags of Doritos, Lay's etc. & a lot of other snack packages. I wouldn't use it on flimsy plastic like bread wrappers as that would melt & mess up the sealer.
Out of the 200 vacuum seal bags sold on Amazon you may have 4-5 that won't hold a vacuum. Note: flour is a learning experience when vacuum sealed.

Mylar bags don't seem fit to vacuum seal for a couple of reasons. First they don't have the embossed side that let's the machine remove the air. Secondly, the mylar just isn't tough enough to withstand rips if tossed around.
I have used vacuum sealed bags inside of the mylar bags just as a trial but haven't opened them yet so can't give an opinion.
I can say that the large arm type mylar sealer will pay for itself by resealing bags of Doritos, Lay's etc. & a lot of other snack packages. I wouldn't use it on flimsy plastic like bread wrappers as that would melt & mess up the sealer.
Out of the 200 vacuum seal bags sold on Amazon you may have 4-5 that won't hold a vacuum. Note: flour is a learning experience when vacuum sealed.
So is pound cake. Lol. Freeze first or you’ll end up with a pancake

I bought one right around Christmas 2020. I like a product called Cougar Gold, which is a cheese that comes in a can, from Washington State University. It is a pretty fair sized chunk of cheese, and I don't want what I don't eat right away to dry up or turn green, so I bought the sealer to help maintain the "freshness" of the cheese . I ordered the cheapest one I could find on Amazon, which was called Four Uncles at a cost of $39.99. I have used it a few times since then and it does what it was designed to do. The bags I bought, at the same time, were also some no name brand but the work fine for what I use them for.

Back
Top Bottom