• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food vacuum sealer, who does it? Opinion? Pros / cons?

Gotcha, that make sense.

My wife sometimes cooks it before (normal) freezing.

I will keep this in mind for vacuum sealing!
We do left overs a lot too. Just had meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole last night. All in one bag. Each item frozen separately before vacuum sealing. To defrost. Just boil the whole bag in water and cut open.

Thanks guys!

I ended up in Cabelas and got the pro series for $149 and a box of assorted bag sizes.

Used the roll of bags that came with it and a few of the different sized bags
It was time consuming at first but once I got the sizes down I was humming right along

I a bunch of different meat to try it out and I used the “liquid blockers) on the ground hamburger and ground Turkey to keep the juices from Leaking out of the bags (I will cook them first next time, thanks to the recommendation on here)

I appreciate it guys!

I look forward to still getting tips and tricks on here.
Keep the thread ALIVE!

After all of the talk about vacuum sealers, I decided to thaw out an 8 lbs prime rib roast that I bought from Publix in December 2020. I had wrapped it twice with Reynolds Freezer Paper taping it for each wrap. And then I vacuumed sealed it with double seals. It took four days to thaw in the refrigerator. I marinaded it on Tuesday to cook it on Wednesday. The roast is good and tastes as good as a fresh roast.

When I first took it out of the freezer, there was no visible sign that the vacuum was lost. And after thawing and removing the bag, the paper was still tightly adhered to the roast.

Cooking continues during rest. And the thawed roast still holding a vacuum.
Took Roast out at Internal Temp of 130 F to Rest for an hour.jpg Roast After Thawing.jpg

Seasoned for an overnight cure. The Publix dated sticker.
seasoned roast ready for overnight cure in refrigerator.jpg Publix 2020 Roast.jpg

For whatever reason my wife just sent me a text that she wants a food vacuum sealer.

So that means I’m buying one…

Jokes on her, I am going to turn her new kitchen toy into another survival/ prepper tool.

So who does it?
What are your thoughts on the the brands of sealers out there?
I assume i will spend $100-$200 on a sealer to try it out.

And for the other 1/2 of the process -
What about the bags? Is there a difference in performance and price?
Which brand do your prefer?

What foods do amazing?
Which have you had issues sealing?

What’s the end state/purpose of yours?
You get to fit more in your freeze and it lasts longer?
Any other benefits?

Do you use it for non frozen items too?

What else do I need to know.
I need to learn from others mistakes!!
So don’t be scared. Chime in and drop all the knowledge!

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike, We have the "Food Saver" brand of vacuum sealer. It's good until the seals dry out and then may or may-not work after re-moisturizing and reseating the seals. Of course I use it for frozen goods but also for any food items that come in a box. It keeps the product fresh and bugs out. Also use it for first aid and survival items (matches & stuff).

I go a step further. I've bought desiccant packs and unbox all new ammo. Put 50 rounds in a bag, add a desiccant pack, and then seal it, marking the date. I'm currently using bags from the early 1990's now for IDPA and I've never had a bad round.

There's so much that you can do with these machines!

I use a Food Saver brand machine, with the extra attachment that does ... other stuff I've never done. My advice is stuff you've already seen: do TWO SEALS on each end of the bags. I do the first seal, trim some of the excess, then hit it again so that the second seal lands in a different spot on the plastic.

If you decide to go with bagrolls of various brands, pay attention to the dimensions of the rolls. I bought some and the roll itself is too large to fit in the reservoir on my machine, so I have to use scissors to cut the bags to size. Luckily, they aren't too wide, which is the real issue, since the width is the real significant dimension. I know to pay attention next time I order bags off Amazon or Ebay or wherever I scored this roll.

Back
Top Bottom