• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For a rifle Which suppressor to buy?

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score
I am looking at a 30 cal can. Yeah they all cost too much and do approximately the same thing (reduce 170 db down to about 140 db) with a $200 tax stamp and a 6 month waiting period.

The YHM R0 was on sale for $359 (out of stock) and I have seen suppressor prices well north of 2k.

My question is aside from pride of ownership or brand recognition. Is there some features that would make a suppressor more better?

Size, Weight, Material it is made out of? Quick disconnect? Disassembly for cleaning?

Price is a big factor and I only intend to buy one and I can justify spending more if there is a tangible benefit for doing so. But I certainly lack that information.

A price sheet and a spec sheet only go so far in telling the story.
What do I need to know?
What would you recommend and more importantly WHY?

Depends on what you want to do with the can. If durability and mag dumps are your thing then you will give up weight.

If precision and light weight matter more you are gonna lose some of that magdumpability (its a word, look it up). There is no one size fits all can. You need to decide what your needs are and go from there. Quiet Riot is a great place to go learn and fondle potential suitors.

Can we address 45-70 also?

All weekend I’ve been looking at .338 cans- I was on their page today & noticed they don’t have the one I thought I wanted so I was going to post a thread & squirrel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buy once cry once is the motto. I personally dont know anyone that has 1 can and is satisfied with only that 1 can. Size, weight, material, and connection are the specs that one looks at when choosing a can. Size determines the quietness. Usually, longer cans are quieter than shorter cans. Some cans are modular, to where you can shorten or lengthen them to your liking. Weight, is a important spec if you're looking for something light as for a hunting rifle. Usually your titanium cans are the lightest in class and have great reduction in sound. But you can only shoot a certain number of rounds per minute to allow the can to cool. Durable cans like Dead Air's line of cans for example have no minimum barrel length restriction. Meaning you can run them like hell and they wont break, full auto rated, but sacrifice a bit in sound reduction. Meaning they wont be the quietest as they would a precision rifle can like SilencerCo Harvester .30 Thunderbeast Ultra series, AAC Jaeger. Connection is a preference depending on your application. Some are tactical and want QD for ease of install and uninstall. Some use DT due to it being a tried and true system but does sometimes back off after numerous shots. QD is solid for reatining the same POI shift and repeatability and simplicity of putting the can on or taking it off. Dead Air Sandman series has one of the best and tool-less QD system out and goes back on the gun the same everytime. Also, some manufacturers have cans where you can change the mounts if you have different hosts. So with my SilencerCo Omega, I have DT and QD capabilities as to how I want to mount to my hosts. Disassembly and cleaning is a different beast. Griffin Armament Paladin (Alpha) can is a centerfire can that is 100% serviceable. But usually when you shoot centerfire ammo, the pressure and heat from the rounds usually burn a lot of dirt and debris and dont really require cleaning. So if you want a do all can for both pistols and rifles, I'd go with Griffin Optimus or Bushwacker or SilencerCo Hybrid. But you'd be better off just getting a dedicated .22, .30, .45, and .46 can and that will keep you happy for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom