• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For all you neckbeards with jacked up trucks

I’ve heard this before. What law makes it illegal?
Georgia Code
TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8 - EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1 - EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 40-8-6.1 - Raised chassis vehicles

O.C.G.A. 40-8-6.1 (2010)
40-8-6.1. Raised chassis vehicles

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of a truck.

(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between a level surface and the lowest point on the frame of a truck, measured when the truck is upon such level surface without a load.

(3) "Gross vehicle weight rating" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

(b) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,500 pounds or less, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 27 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(c) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of not less than 4,501 pounds and not more than 7,500 pounds, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 30 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(d) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of not less than 7,501 pounds and not more than 14,000 pounds, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 31 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(e) It shall be unlawful to operate any truck upon any highway, roadway, or street if the suspension system has been altered in excess of the limitations provided for in this Code section.

(f) Any person violating this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor

Georgia Code

O.C.G.A. 40-8-6.1 (2010)

(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of a truck.

(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between a level surface and the lowest point on the frame of a truck, measured when the truck is upon such level surface without a load.

(3) "Gross vehicle weight rating" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

(b) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,500 pounds or less, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 27 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(c) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of not less than 4,501 pounds and not more than 7,500 pounds, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 30 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(d) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of not less than 7,501 pounds and not more than 14,000 pounds, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 31 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(e) It shall be unlawful to operate any truck upon any highway, roadway, or street if the suspension system has been altered in excess of the limitations provided for in this Code section.

Looks like an answer to said question to me.

Georgia Code

O.C.G.A. 40-8-6.1 (2010)

So it’s not illegal to lift a vehicle, just as long as a 4500 lb vehicle doesn’t measure more than 27” from the lowest point of the frame to the ground (which is about double what my lowest point measures now on my stock Chevy) Or am I reading that wrong?

Actually after looking at my GVWR, my truck falls into “C”. So I could add a 6” lift and 35” tire and still not exceed 30” from frame to ground. Which is what I used to run on a 1/2 ton 4x4 and never had an issue.

So it’s not illegal to lift a vehicle, just as long as a 4500 lb vehicle doesn’t measure more than 27” from the lowest point of the frame to the ground (which is about double what my lowest point measures now on my stock Chevy) Or am I reading that wrong?
The point believe is as long as you adjust everything else to be legal no to interfere with the vision of oncoming traffic.

10-4 good buddy!
Lifted trucks don’t bother me near as much as these idiots in their fart can equipped, Flexi dipped, clapped out Honda and Toyota’s with those damn blinding blue led lights. Since it’s illegal to shoot them out then they need to find a way to reign it in. That craps dangerous when you are blinding oncoming traffic.
seriously

when i worked at o'riellys auto parts years back i had a douchebag of a customer come in wanting to put those in his audi. i told him that even though we sell them i discourage it because they are overpriced and dangerous to drivers. guy said he didnt care if it blinded other people as long as he could see good. had to remind him that by blinding other drivers he increases his chances of getting into an accident a ****ton because he is hindering those driving around him at all times (statistically it dont make it safer for you lol).

he decided to ignore my sage advice and get them anyway. he asked if we installed headlights......i told him i would on something like an old chevy but that audis are over engineered and i wasnt about to sit there for 50 minutes disassembing the entire bumper to change the thing :) (i probably could have but i wasnt going to lol)

My son in law and daughter just lifted one of their new trucks the 2016 and he adjusted his lights on it. He bought another 2018 GMC but has not raised it yet. It;s just common courtesy to do that even though it's law.

The point believe is as long as you adjust everything else to be legal no to interfere with the vision of oncoming traffic.

I was replying to the post that stated it was illegal to lift trucks - it is not. If the guys lifting their truck had any sense they would recalibrate their headlights so they can see the road. That is a big “if” it seems with some of those guys.

Well, there is always this too:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-40/chapter-8/article-1/part-1/40-8-6/

O.C.G.A. 40-8-6 (2010)
40-8-6. Alteration of suspension system; operation of vehicle with broken springs

(a) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any private passenger motor vehicle which may be operated on any public street or highway more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for any such vehicle.

(b) It shall be unlawful to operate any private passenger motor vehicle upon any highway, roadway, or street if the suspension system of such vehicle has been altered more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for such vehicle.

(c) It shall be unlawful to operate any motor vehicle upon any highway, roadway, or street if the springs relative to the suspension system are broken.

(d) Any person violating this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Back
Top Bottom