• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For anybody looking for a great deal and wanting to set off red flags

I think the glass half full other big picture is guys like me who drive out of the way to go in the shop, get a free transfer and buy $100+ worth of stuff while I'm there, even other guns. I wouldn't go to cgp if the transfer wasn't free. It's a service that's brings in the customer and costs more in labor than anything else which is not incremental.
THIS!! Absolutely, it's not them losing time to help a guy , its customer service that goes a long way in the form of referrals ( just look at this ONE thread) and also money made on sales as stated above. Free transfers are GOOD c.s.

I think the glass half full other big picture is guys like me who drive out of the way to go in the shop, get a free transfer and buy $100+ worth of stuff while I'm there, even other guns. I wouldn't go to cgp if the transfer wasn't free. It's a service that's brings in the customer and costs more in labor than anything else which is not incremental.

This is it. From where I am at, it usually takes me 45 minutes depending on traffic to get to Cherokee. I drive past a hand full of other dealers because of the free transfer, then spend other money while I am there. I have bought more than one gun from them while I stopped in for a transfer among other things like ammo and accessories.

That's kinda the point I'm trying to make. We should spend money in any gun store that offers free transfers. They are doing it for the advertising aspect of it.

There is more to the whole 4473 that goes on after customers leave and that should be kept in mind by all of us.

I agree, free is good and if good customer service goes along with the transfer the store will do better because of it.

I've heard people talking about using the stores for their free transfers and just walk out. There is no such thing as free, someone is paying somewhere.

I know the costs behind the counter and feel like I need to spend something in the store, if anything just to say thank you........but that's just me.

And I too enjoy a trip to Cherokee, great guys with great prices all wrapped up in great customer service.

If you want to charge, that is fine. join the rest of them. as for me I will bring my business as well as the business of my friends to a store that is willing to do it free or a low cost. We will be sure to patronize them & buy stuff from them as well.
I gotta say, if I were a FFL I would charge for a transfer. There's just too much time, effort and risk not to anymore.

I personally don't think that $20.00 is too much to pay for a transfer so anything under that I consider a deal.

If you like a gun store why wouldn't you support them? I can tell you for sure that a good relationship with your LGS will pay off.......if the LGS is a decent one.

If you want to charge, that is fine. join the rest of them. as for me I will bring my business as well as the business of my friends to a store that is willing to do it free or a low cost. We will be sure to patronize them & buy stuff from them as well.

I'm not a FFL.....so I don't charge for them.

I'm just putting out there that with all of the FREE talk, there is nothing free and the LGS spends more time and money on a 4473 than most think or care about. They are doing it to get people in the store to buy other stuff and I for you make sure that I buy at least $20.00 worth of stuff other than guns and ammo (profit is lowest in new guns and ammo) or I at least offer to pay for the transfer.

I've just helped out at a gun store and see the other side as a business owner, so I wanted to comment on the common idea that the transfer process is free. Theres always more to free than it seems people know.

Last edited:
OK. I just went in there last week and they said it was $20/$25. So either you talked to a different shop, or they're being dishonest, and are charging me.

Did you tell them you were on the ODT? The free transfer is for ODT memebers if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom