• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

? for licensed electrician. Nobody on ODT close enough to hire.

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I have a shed with power already ran to it from main service panel so this would be a sub panel. Power running to shed is wired to a 60 amp double pole in the house. My old sub panel is a Siemens 125 amp with 4 slots E0408 M/L F/S .

Because the house breaker is a 60 amp double does the sub panel also have to have a 60 amp double?

That would leave me just 2 slots to insert 20 amp breakers which leads to the next question. Can you run all outlets (8) off one breaker and then lights off the other or run lights and outlets off of one?

I intend to run one tool at a time and do not have anything that is 220 nor do I intend to.

Is your sub panel already wired in? Just trying to clarify what you have.

If it is, one single pole 20 amp for outlets and one for lights would be fine. You do not need a 60 amp in the sub panel. I believe the code states for 120 volt 20 amp circuits is 8 devices (outlets or lights) per circuit, its been a while since I looked at it. For what your wanting with shed, everything divided between two single pole breakers is fine.

IMG_20180924_164500.jpg
Feed the main lugs, and you have space for 4 single pole breakers. No main is needed in a sub panel. (it's fed from a breaker in the house.) Be sure to drive a ground rod outside, close to the panel. Also install a GFCI outlet near the shed door, for outside use.

If you plan on running a lot of power tools or what not out there, I would get tandem breakers. If all 8 outlets are on one breaker and you decide to run a refrigerator and let's say a saw, you will pop the breaker

View attachment 1799056 Feed the main lugs, and you have space for 4 single pole breakers. No main is needed in a sub panel. (it's fed from a breaker in the house.) Be sure to drive a ground rod outside, close to the panel. Also install a GFCI outlet near the shed door, for outside use.

That's the one I have exactly.

Is there only one ground terminal strip? The neutral needs a seperate strip on a feeder panel, ground and neutral should only be bonded at the main panel.

Panel comes with a neutral bar. I have to buy the ground bar and install it separate from the neutral. I need to connect a #6 copper wire to the grounding rod after I drive it in the ground.

View attachment 1799056 Feed the main lugs, and you have space for 4 single pole breakers. No main is needed in a sub panel. (it's fed from a breaker in the house.) Be sure to drive a ground rod outside, close to the panel. Also install a GFCI outlet near the shed door, for outside use.
run a 4 conductor cable , the ground should come from the main panel ground.

Back
Top Bottom