• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For Snr. Citizen-which shotty: Mossberg 835 or Shockwave

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Asking for a mid framed sized senior citizen on which is better for home defense, the 835 46" long Ulti Mag or the short 590 Shockwave? Using low power shotgun shells, is the recoil difference that much? Recoil is the main concern.

Without having the opportunity to test fire each, which would you recommend- again, for HD?

Thanks

Right off the bat I'd say niether is an ideal choice. But that's just a generalization since you said it was a senior citizen. If they're in decent shape I guess the Shockwave would work better for using in a confined area. But it would probably still need some kind of aiming light.
For home defense and specifically inside the house I would probably step down a little bit to a 20 gauge with 18" to 20" barrel especially if it's a smaller or frail user.

I'd probably go 20 gauge. Shockwave would certainly be out, IMHO, as recoil would be very difficult for a senior citizen to control, much less, make make any sort of a second shot. If they are comfortable with a 12g, I would say one with an 18 inch barrel.

I have a shockwave and am 45 and in good shape. I shot it the other day, even with low recoil rounds, and it was a beast. I only got 5 shots downrange before I was done, it just wasn't fun to shoot.

Absolutely recommend a 223 AR, or even a 9mm AR. Heck, a 22 AR like the M&P is a joy to shoot and with 20-30 rounds that would probably be enough.

Remember, it has to be something they can actually practice with if they want to hit anything.

On a side note, I love my HiPoint 995 9mm carbine. You can get 20 round mags for them and it is a very soft shooter and very accurate.

Got one of these for my dad and he loves it. Moss 500 in .410
7-g50455_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom