• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For Snr. Citizen-which shotty: Mossberg 835 or Shockwave

Sorry Bear. I don`t like ARs,even though I was married to one for a while. Where they shot back. Rather have my mini-14. My point was, I was criticizing those who think geezers can`t handle big guns. I see you and I are in agreement.Have a good`un.

So guys after spending more money than I planned, only to find out I don't know everything. Bear is correct, that given the right choice of ammunition( fragmental) the 223/556 does not over-penetrate anymore than a handgun round and in some cases less. However if you guys are going to recommended AR-15 for home defense you also need to recommend the correct ammunition. fmj is not it. Out of all the testing handgun and 223/556 I think I can say that all the rounds fired are lethal through one exterior wall. I also tried #4 12ga 2-3/4", 1-1/2 oz shot. This is the least lethal through a wall. You guys will have to decide for yourself if you want to use a shotgun a rifle or a handgun.
Carry on.

When I was a young buck in the prime of my life, a "Mooseberg" 500 with 18" bbl and a pistol grip was a lot to handle with full bore loads. Today if I was going with something like a shockwave, it would NOT be in 12 gauge. Even if the senior could handle low recoil loads now, how about next year or 5 years down the road? The senior would probably be better served with a semiauto in a smaller gauge if he just wanted a shotgun. An AR15 or Mini 14 would work if he wasn't concerned with over penetration - adjacent rooms, houses, etc. If that is the case, a handgun would be hard to beat. Get the senior a Glock 17 with a 33 round magazine and a laser - not much recoil, solid reliability, lite, and ammo to burn.

When I was a young buck in the prime of my life, a "Mooseberg" 500 with 18" bbl and a pistol grip was a lot to handle with full bore loads. Today if I was going with something like a shockwave, it would NOT be in 12 gauge. Even if the senior could handle low recoil loads now, how about next year or 5 years down the road? The senior would probably be better served with a semiauto in a smaller gauge if he just wanted a shotgun. An AR15 or Mini 14 would work if he wasn't concerned with over penetration - adjacent rooms, houses, etc. If that is the case, a handgun would be hard to beat. Get the senior a Glock 17 with a 33 round magazine and a laser - not much recoil, solid reliability, lite, and ammo to burn.
"An AR15 or Mini 14 would work if he wasn't concerned with over penetration - adjacent rooms, houses, etc."

See post #112.

So guys after spending more money than I planned, only to find out I don't know everything. Bear is correct, that given the right choice of ammunition( fragmental) the 223/556 does not over-penetrate anymore than a handgun round and in some cases less. However if you guys are going to recommended AR-15 for home defense you also need to recommend the correct ammunition. fmj is not it. Out of all the testing handgun and 223/556 I think I can say that all the rounds fired are lethal through one exterior wall. I also tried #4 12ga 2-3/4", 1-1/2 oz shot. This is the least lethal through a wall. You guys will have to decide for yourself if you want to use a shotgun a rifle or a handgun.
Carry on.
Thanks for the update, I surely hope no one was recommending FMJ for anything, regardless of the firearm type, other than training/practice ammo.

QUOTE from YELLOWHAMMER:
What makes ya`ll think a senior citizen needs a wimpy gun? I turkey hunt with a 3.5" Mossberg 835 with Hevi-shot. I deer hunt with a 30-06. I shoot a pistol well enough to not need a shotgun. I walk all over the GA mountains. I don`t ride an ATV to my stand. I drag my own deer and hogs. I gut `em,also. Me,not a processor. I don`t need a suppressor to keep my wittle ears from hurting. I`m over 70.

OK, so you're over 70 and doing fine. Well, they say "seventy is the new fifty!" Age 70 isn't that old anymore, even though it is retirement age.

But when you get closer to 80, odds are really good that you'll be a lot weaker than you were.
Of course there are exceptions. Jack Palance, who starred in City Slickers at age 73 and did one-handed push-ups on stage at an awards ceremony later that year, probably could handle any firearm all though his 80th decade of life.

But my parents, my uncles, and my older cousins got much weaker in the their hands and arms when they got around age 77-83 or in that ballpark.

This month's issue of GUNS & AMMO magazine has an article about a .22 magnum version of a 1911, and the gunwriter says the purpose of such a gun, besides just fun plinking, is for somebody like an elderly aunt that just doesn't want the recoil and muzzle flip of a centerfire caliber gun, but still wants an accurate and easy-pointing defensive pistol. It's a legit concern.

Got one of these for my dad and he loves it. Moss 500 in .410
View attachment 1357533
The regular shotty with pistol grip, 18 1/2 barrel, is easier to control that a shockwave I am 68, have artificial shoulder and have shot both rem and mossy shockwaves and can nit and control much better with a 12 with pistol grip, I have em front at the pump and rear so much more control and hit capability than the new rave, the wave.
IMG_1603.JPG

Back
Top Bottom