• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For Snr. Citizen-which shotty: Mossberg 835 or Shockwave

I know I am about to offend some of you, however if you live in a residential neighborhood a 223 is not ideal for home defence. You are firing a round that can easily penetrate your drywall and siding and then your neighbors and kill someone next door or down the street. Unless you live in a log or all brick home, a hi velocity rifle round in a neighborhood is a safety hazard. And you need to make dang sure you don't put a round through a window or door.

I agree... But as we all know, common sense is not so common anymore.

Everybody wants a 5.56 AR pistol for home defense. By all means, don't stop there, the 308 is a awesome man stopper as well.

I know I am about to offend some of you, however if you live in a residential neighborhood a 223 is not ideal for home defence. You are firing a round that can easily penetrate your drywall and siding and then your neighbors and kill someone next door or down the street. Unless you live in a log or all brick home, a hi velocity rifle round in a neighborhood is a safety hazard. And you need to make dang sure you don't put a round through a window or door.
Choose the right ammo and it's no more of an issue than many other popular home defense rounds.

I agree... But as we all know, comm on sense is not so common anymore.

Everybody wants a 5.56 AR pistol for home defense. By all means, don't stop there, the 308 is a awesome man stopper as well.
The higher velocity a round, the more easily it can be designed for rapid expansion and even frangible qualities. A light weight varmint bullet in a 223 is meant to explode a Prairie dog, not the off shoulder of an Elk.

Why a shotgun at all?

An AR-15 would make a heck of a lot more sense in any SD scenario I could think of if the user is recoil averse. Plus it's lighter and easier to manage and hit with. Plus it has a ton more ammo capacity. Plus it won't over-penetrate through 10 walls and into the street.

There's a reason cops carry ARs and not shottys anymore.

Why a shotgun at all?

An AR-15 would make a heck of a lot more sense in any SD scenario I could think of if the user is recoil averse. Plus it's lighter and easier to manage and hit with. Plus it has a ton more ammo capacity. Plus it won't over-penetrate through 10 walls and into the street.

There's a reason cops carry ARs and not shottys anymore.

Ability to take long, accurate shots if needed?

Does the Person live alone? In a house or apartment? If he lives alone in a house, I’d say an AR or something in a carbine, if there are people in other rooms or if it’s an apartment, I’d say something in a 20ga auto loader. If you must choose between the 2 you listed, I’d go with the 835 for versatility. I have an 86 yr old uncle who shoots the 835 with 3 1/2 “ turkey loads for the occasional yote!

A .50 BMG will do the job if the proper round is used and the perpetrator (bad guy) is standing at the precise location in the house when the rotation of the earth coordinates with the trajectory of the said over-sized round at the right temperature of the night is fired by an elderly mid 80's aged man, all the while screaming Adrian!

RamboIIM60E3-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom