• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For Snr. Citizen-which shotty: Mossberg 835 or Shockwave

I know I am about to offend some of you, however if you live in a residential neighborhood a 223 is not ideal for home defence. You are firing a round that can easily penetrate your drywall and siding and then your neighbors and kill someone next door or down the street. Unless you live in a log or all brick home, a hi velocity rifle round in a neighborhood is a safety hazard. And you need to make dang sure you don't put a round through a window or door.
Lots of testing has been done on this, any round that will stop threats reliably will penetrate drywall, end of story. Testing also shows that 223 penetrates less than 9mm. Use angles to your advantage and don't miss.

I don't want to argue which round or platform is best suited here. I just want to ask this question. If you fired the first round of .223 or 5.56 indoors at night wouldn't you then immediately be blinded and deaf for the next few very crucial minutes? I'm just assuming that the muzzle blast especially from short barreled pistol versions would be a camera flash right in your face and an air horn in both ears.
May I introduce you to the A2 flash hider? Without ear pro and in a house both the AR15 and a shotgun are no where close to hearing safe. If you have time, wear electronic hearing pro. If not, just realize that being alive is more important than some hearing loss. Or we can talk about suppressors :evil:.

Asking for a mid framed sized senior citizen on which is better for home defense, the 835 46" long Ulti Mag or the short 590 Shockwave? Using low power shotgun shells, is the recoil difference that much? Recoil is the main concern.

Without having the opportunity to test fire each, which would you recommend- again, for HD?

Thanks
Yes, it is that much difference. I’d vote for a 590 with a 16” barrel and a adjustable stock.
Ask yourself why so many shock waves are for sale here within minutes of the owners shooting them...

well I am 64 and keep a shockwave in one part of the house, a regular 500 in another and a 500 with 20" barrel and birdshead grip (same set up as the shockwave just a longer barrel) in another part of the house. On the shockwave I have a top rail and laser to help aim so I vote Shockwave.
mossberg shockwave 001.JPG

It's true a .223, fired indoors from a 16" or 18" barrel, will be deafening.
I'm not sure about blinding. Maybe tonight I'll stack some newspapers in one corner of my living room and run a test!

But... I still say a semi-auto carbine that holds 15-20 rounds is a better choice than a 6-shot pump shotgun of any flavor or shape.

If you want less flash and muzzle blast, go with a pistol caliber carbine.
9mm, .40, or .45 are all available.
The "Just Right Carbine" looks good. I've fondled them at gun shows, but never pulled the trigger on one.

I recently bought a Ruger Ranch rifle in 5.56 and I fired it last Thursday for the first time in an indoor range at 25yds just to get the scope adjusted.
The first shot about blinded me and I wasn't expecting that much of a flash. I will be purchasing an A2 flash hider I think. The flash seemed like a shotgun blast.
I am 79 and the eyes aren't what they used to be and a little sensitive to light, since I had a cataract operation a few years before.

I do think the 300 blackout with a subsonic round would be ok.

However I would not recommend an AR platform for someone with little knowledge of firearms who will most likely not spend much if any time training.

A short barrel autoloader with #4 is pretty lethal at close range, patterns well enough at short distance, isn't terrible on recoil.

#1: .300 Blackout? So, you're saying a .30 caliber, sharply-pointed bullet that weighs 200-220 grains and hits the target at 1000 f.p.s. is NOT going to zip through drywall and siding and fiberglass insulation easily? Do you think it won't fully penetrate both sides of a man's guts and come out his back with lethal velocity behind him?
Heavy bullets that are slim and pointed are the best penetrators of the gun world, unless they open up to become mushroomed at the tip, or unless they yaw and break up by going through the ballistic media sideways.

#2: Complicated manual-of-arms? How is an AR any more complicated than a pump shotgun? They both are equally easy, or equally difficult, to understand. Both have mags. Both can be kept chamber-empty, or chamber-loaded. Both have manual safeties. With the AR, the magazine can be detached if you push the wrong button by accident. That's true. With the shotgun, if you pump it and then try to pump it again, it will be locked and you'll need to push a small release button or lever to work the action. That's something that can trip up folks not very practiced with pump shottys. It's a toss-up in my opinion. For both weapons systems, you need to know it intimately. Neither is idiot-proof.

#3: Recoil of #4 shotshells? Do the math on this. A 1 oz. payload of lead is about 425 grains. Shotshells with birdshot often have muzzle velocities of about 1200 f.p.s. for regular shells, or 1300+ for high-speed / magnum loads.
Per the laws of physics, if you throw 400+ grains of weight forward at 1200 F.P.S., you're going to have a lot of recoil and muzzle climb.

a 2”-4” revolver in 38 special/357 mag with bird shot.

I think the idea is to stop them, not annoy them, or am I missing something ?

My vote would be a Sub 2K in 9 or 40. If recoil's a challenge, forget a shotgun, if you're not familiar with guns an AR is overkill and the manual of arms too complex, and I side with the over penetration crowd when it comes to 223, rightly or wrongly.

Mossberg 500 or 590 with mini shells. No recoil, very manageable for a senior. Rifle rounds in a house in a residential area is a bad idea, period. Have any of the previous posters been in an "oh crap" moment in a house? Tell me how true your aim was, or how you used one well placed round. Excess rounds have to stop somewhere, and rifle rounds probably won't stop in your home.

Back
Top Bottom