• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For Snr. Citizen-which shotty: Mossberg 835 or Shockwave

I have a 3/4" steel backstop at my range. The reason being is that 223 would penetrate.the 1/4 steel that stopped the handgun rounds would not stop the 223 and other HV rifle rounds. I have 3 miles of wood behind my house. And still it is important to know where your rounds are going ( at least it is to me). Safety first!.
I will mock up a wall this week and shoot it with 223, 556, and 9mm and let you know what I find in the recovered bullets. I will use the 9mm 124hp and the horn vmax 223. And green box 556.
3/4" steel is a terrible choice for a backstop. You need a berm.

View of my backstop from the back porch at 100 yards. The clear material you see on top is bullet resistant glass, bc some guess (police officers) Were shooting over the 4' tall berm and steel plate

Attachments

• 20171022_140639.jpg
    20171022_140639.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
Like I said earlier... we can agree that we disagree but you just keep pushing the fact that a over penetrating round of a high powered rifle is a better close quarters home defense round than a contained shotgun round is asinie... But, ignorance is bliss. I now bow out as I cant argue with stupidity.
All I'm doing is pointing out that the premise that it over penetrates is incorrect. Sorry if you can't deal with fact.

All I'm doing is pointing out that the premise that it over penetrates is incorrect. Sorry if you can't deal with fact.

Can you site you source for this being fact. Cause I haven't seen any data to confirm this yet. In fact just the opposite. Bear show us a test where 223 through one layer of drywall insulation and siding isn't lethal.

It's true a .223, fired indoors from a 16" or 18" barrel, will be deafening.
I'm not sure about blinding. Maybe tonight I'll stack some newspapers in one corner of my living room and run a test!

But... I still say a semi-auto carbine that holds 15-20 rounds is a better choice than a 6-shot pump shotgun of any flavor or shape.

If you want less flash and muzzle blast, go with a pistol caliber carbine.
9mm, .40, or .45 are all available.
The "Just Right Carbine" looks good. I've fondled them at gun shows, but never pulled the trigger on one.
The JR Carbines are good weapons right out of the box. Do a few mods and they are exceptional.

JR.jpg

I have a 3/4" steel backstop at my range. The reason being is that 223 would penetrate.the 1/4 steel that stopped the handgun rounds would not stop the 223 and other HV rifle rounds. I have 3 miles of wood behind my house. And still it is important to know where your rounds are going ( at least it is to me). Safety first!.
I will mock up a wall this week and shoot it with 223, 556, and 9mm and let you know what I find in the recovered bullets. I will use the 9mm 124hp and the horn vmax 223. And green box 556.
Use a soft lead bullet and it barely or won’t penetrate car class without disintegration.

Back
Top Bottom