• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For the drre hunters

I use a ladder stand to hunt from. It is not very portable on the fly but it feels good having something on the ground keeping you steady

I even wear My Harness when on my Ladder stand.
Many times got drowsy and felt the tug of my Rope wake me
Up as I leaned forward.
I'll slide the knot tight so I can only lean slightly forward if I doze off.
Everyone with a climber should never take their stand for granted.

I saw some new stands from a small company on the market the other day for $300 a pop.
Lightweight aluminum, great looking stands but the cable eyelet at the ends of the cables that the adjustable pins go through looked Mickey Mouse as hell.
Ain't no way I'd use that stand.

My uncle slipped and fell while starting to climb down and broke his back when he landed on a fallen tree. He never walked again. He was a big, strong, healthy man too. It took 20+ years off his life, I'm thinking.

I Like to sharpen my
Climber teeth as needed as they get worn.

Tree selection is also key.

Some of the straightest trees look awesome to set up on but the bark is hard and slippery like teflon.
I avoid those trees and go for softer bark.
Keep a folding saw in back pocket if it's a new spot on the fly.

My uncle slipped and fell while starting to climb down and broke his back when he landed on a fallen tree. He never walked again. He was a big, strong, healthy man too. It took 20+ years off his life, I'm thinking.

It can happen in any stand, that's for sure. I have a buddy who is still walking with a bad limp from a ladderstand accident. I no longer take the chance, especially now, considering that I take my children with me.

I keep a knife mounted on the shoulder strap of my harness on my chest just in case I need to cut out of a tangle.
I try to set up on a climbing tree that has a tall, skinny tree nearby that can offer cover and also act as an emergency escape ladder.

Back
Top Bottom