• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For the Love of GOD...OUR MILLENNIALS are killing me!!!

Two Spaces or One Space (between the period and the beginning of next sentence)?

• TWO SPACES...Take a Stance. Don't take Schit from them

• ONE SPACE...Typewriters, what are those?

• TACOS

• What are TACOS

Results are only viewable after voting.
Today, I've reached a breaking point. Millennials...they got to me. But I'm taking a stance. Look, it wasn't all too long ago, I was a "young and know it all buck" that did things different and look to make a change in the world. I was an idealist and I saw the world much different than the previous old farts. And then I had to find a job, move out, get a mortgage and find a way to support a family (food on the table and diapers for the kiddos). So I get it. But...I'm done

PROLOGUE
I've been gainfully employed by the same employer for say...30 years (been real lucky there). I have trained many employees, mentored them, and seen them grow. Very proud of that. Each new comer (23-25 year olds) had it's challenges but this recent batch got to me.

PROBLEM STATEMENT
Today, after reviewing/correcting their work, they said that after a period in a sentence and before starting another sentence I HAVE TWO SPACES. They told me I WAS WRONG and my writing looked awkward. They asked me WHY would you put "2" spaces after a period in a sentence.

What do you mean, I said. They said look man, been wanting to tell you for some time but...you've been making this mistake a lot and we just didn't want to tell you. But since you're obviously picking on us for our work, we're just gonna tell you now...you gotta take the two spaces down to "ONE." It's English 101. There is only "1" space after a period.

Baffled...I reach for my handy dandy "GOOGLE." They said...here, we'll send it to you. And I Get this...

1. It’s not only widely accepted, it’s expected that you use only one space after a period. Sorry two-spaces, it’s time to make the switch.
  2. Nothing Says Over 40 Like Two Spaces after a Period!
WHAT SAY YOU?
So is it time for me to pack up my bags or do you agree...take a stance.
I HOPE FOR GOODNESS SAKE I HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO WOORY ABOUT THAN ONE OR TWO SPACES AFTER A PERIOD.

Yep the internet folks got it changed it from 2 to 1 to save a little disk space. 2 looks better though, and is easier to read.

Your millennials are just bustin your balls. IMO That’s just universal human nature, just cuz you’ve been criticizing them.

I've always used 2 spaces. Except in txt msgs. When there weren't unlimited and cost $0.10 each after your alottment, I jammed everything I could in them bitches. Started abbr **** too...

I've always put one space after the period. That's how I was taught and how I've seen it everywhere as far as I know. Never heard of people using two spaces after a period.

Edit: I also learned to type on a typewriter. For what it's worth.

A Royal manual typewriter at that. You had to type like you were mad at it.

Back
Top Bottom