• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For the self processors, how long do you age?

batoncolle

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
35   0
Reaction score
I shot a couple of deer today, and I decided to bring the smaller one home to process. I have it skinned and hanging in a fridge right now. It's been a while, and I think I went about 4 days last time dry ageing, but I know you can a lot longer.

So what say ya'll?

I've tried many different methods as I'm sure a lot of other folks have too.processed and frozen them within a day,the cooler deal changing the ice out over a weeks time..etc.. I've never been able to tell a difference once it hits my plate. And, knock on wood, it's always turned out great. I've had funky deer meat but none that I ever processed myself.

You said you hung it whole in your fridge? If you have a fridge built like that let the next one hang with the hide on for a few weeks. I have only ever done the cooler method for 10ish days however all the processors that i have talked to say the best is to hang it with the hide on for 20+ days. Not a lot of people have this convenience.
I shot a couple of deer today, and I decided to bring the smaller one home to process. I have it skinned and hanging in a fridge right now. It's been a while, and I think I went about 4 days last time dry ageing, but I know you can a lot longer.

So what say ya'll?

My Home processed deer meat is usually in the freezer same day or by noon the next day . I don't age it myself . Only processer I've ever used was Huckaby ,so whatever they're time frame was didn't make it tatse no different .

I've had gamey meat from does an bucks ,old an young ,but it's just how it is ;)

You said you hung it whole in your fridge? If you have a fridge built like that let the next one hang with the hide on for a few weeks. I have only ever done the cooler method for 10ish days however all the processors that i have talked to say the best is to hang it with the hide on for 20+ days. Not a lot of people have this convenience.

Well with parts removed like glands, head, etc. I have hung with the hide in the past, but I was advised by someone to try it without the hide.

I gotchya, with the hide removed it will probably develop a “rind” that you will have to trim away. Should still be great you will just have to trim it, with the hide still on, it protects the meat and you wont get that rind. Either way dont hesitate to let it hang for at least a couple weeks. Wish i had your setup for sure!

Back
Top Bottom