Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

For those of you who think "self defense" is immunity, and a walk in the park ->

Thread in 'Law & Order' started by gh1950, May 21, 2018.

1. gh1950

gh1950 ODT Junkie!

51   0

Rating
    100%
    Read this and follow the story.

Police officer claims "self-defense" so he should be "immune" from prosecution, right?

He can't be charged with murder, correct?

He doesn't have to hire a lawyer and go to court to defends hisself, isn't that the way it works?

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...shooting-anthony-hill/sijA7Z3Mt4RfQ2G9CSUb7J/

2. palmettomoon

palmettomoon The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

75   0

Rating
    100%
    Qualified Immunity.

He (Olsen) was in fear of his life due to the possibility of the suspect having keistered a deadly weapon.....when he only slowed down instead of stopping as commanded, the 'officer' feared for his life since the slow walk would allow the suspect to reach into his ass and draw the (potential) weapon. Understandable. I'm sure others in the 'blue line' will be here to defend the 'officer.'

3. karlvv30

karlvv30 Russian Hacker Supporter

Supporter

8   0

Rating
    100%
    I would think that deadly force would not be the first force used with a naked unarmed person.

4. gh1950

gh1950 ODT Junkie!

51   0

Rating
    100%
    Times change.

We had a similar case in Athens maybe 20 years ago (1995)- way before every one had a camera. Naked guy running down the street, known to be crazy. 2 cops show up and are following in a cruiser. Crazy guy is not threatening anyone, just running down the street. So they decided to "apprehend" him because that's what cops are supposed to do, they get out of cruiser, and next thing you know, crazy guy is shot dead, shot 6 times.

DA declined to prosecute (???).

But the lawsuit sure cost the city a lot of money.

BanjoJohn likes this.
  5. biker13

biker13 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

769   0

Rating
    100%
    dont run around naked

Omega and 10thmountain like this.
  6. CQB27

CQB27 ODT Junkie!

207   0

Rating
    100%
    Qualified immunity protects an officer so long as the conduct did not violate any clearly established law that should be known to a reasonable officer. A grand jury indicted him on January 21, 2016, on charges of Felony Murder (two counts), Aggravated Assault, Violation of Oath by Public Officer (two counts), and Making a False Statement, so qualified immunity in not an issue here.

I'm betting the judge will deny his legal teams motion to dismiss and off to trail he will go. He should be convicted (it was a very bad shoot), but with a jury involved who can say?

Jeddak likes this.
  7. palmettomoon

Supporter

75   0

Rating
    100%
    Oops. I was being snarky. Thanks for the explanation though. I'd like to hear his explanation of why he chose to use his sidearm instead of any other option which may have been at hand. Only heard one side but it sounds like he wasn't threatening the officer. The last time I saw a naked 10-68 advance on my brother he picked him up and body slammed him. Then hooked him up with bracelets.

BanjoJohn likes this.
  8. CQB27

CQB27 ODT Junkie!

207   0

Rating
    100%
    Because that's the way it should be done. :thumb:

In addition to his God given weapons, he had a Taser and pepper spray on his belt. He chose the wrong tool, and should pay a heavy price for his error. Probably a case of a man who should have never been doing the job to begin with.

gagoosebuster, Jeddak, Omega and 3 others like this.
  9. The Old Jaybird

The Old Jaybird ODT Junkie!

8   0

Rating
    100%
    Back when I lived in Albuquerque, had a domestic case, drunk husband, standing on his front porch in his underwear, waving a large butcher knife, nobody in immediate danger, about a dozen cops on the scene when they decide they have had enough and dump about 3 dozen rounds into him. End of story.

10. palmettomoon

Supporter

75   0

Rating
    100%
    Knives are an automatic escalation in my opinion. I wouldn't blame a policeman for not playing 'hero' with a subject armed with a knife.

1776 likes this.