• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For those that have chickens like I do. Option when medicine is not readily available if they get sick

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
In all the years we have had chickens this is the first time I have had a hen with a disease. The disease is called Trichomonis or Canker. Chickens get the disease from drinking or eating after pigeons, doves or other wild birds have used their waterers or feeders. This hen was not able to fully close her mouth so she had problems eating and drinking. She was not well and dropped weight to 3lbs and we isolated her. No store carries medicine for birds. I checked TSC, Walmart, 2 feed stores, 3 Vet offices and pet stores but not one of them carry anti parasite/antibiotic medicine for chickens or any other bird. The medicine to cure the disease is Flagyl also called (Metronidazole). This medicine can be found in aquarium fish medicine called "General Cure". It's sold online and at Petsmart. 1 box of 10 packets that treat 100 gallons of water total. We have been giving this to the chicken for 3 days and she is healing and getting better.

91vVlHWQqEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Untitled.jpg

I've got 50+ hens and I've never heard of this before. Looks painful too.

I appreciate the heads up and will keep a close eye on mine.
This was the first time I had ever seen it as well. The medicine worked for a little while. I think she was too far gone when we caught it. I ended up putting her down.

I must be ole fashion or not up with the times,but why not ring its neck and get another chicken,and not jeopardize spreading the disease to all them.

There’s a great deal of information available for just about every situation you can imagine when it comes to your backyard flock.

Best advice I can give anyone is clean their pens every day and always keep fresh cool water for them. And one water that has apple cider vinegar mixed.
Just got chickens for the first time since I was a kid 50 plus ago. we were looking today at meds and wondering what would be available if we ever had problems.

Back
Top Bottom