• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For you buck hunters...what's your opinion on killing does?

To me 2.5 to 3.5 year old does are the best table fare. I will shoot a doe over a young buck any day. However, we do not shoot does or bucks that do not have racks outside of the ears on food plots.

FED32483-007B-49FA-8BAA-889C2F8D793E.jpeg
858503B1-DFC4-4B05-80C6-7E28B3D54D30.jpeg
4DF5F156-DBE1-428E-BBF2-F2F3AF82DDA2.jpeg
Here’s the smaller herd of does running around here.
This was a herd of ten last night at midnight in my yard.
There is also a herd of sixteen and several smaller herds......all does.
This is why I shoot does.

WE,Only take bucks, with 8 or better, outside the ears, 4" tines or better 4 tines one side (usually a lot longer), no doe until late December, and none that have, light brown to running dark hocks, and only 2 doe per year, and a buck.

Watched a guy ask another guy to help unload his deer, you could have put in a ladies cosmetic case.

Walked over pick its head up and looked at it the fawn still had spots on it too, he asked what was I doing, told him looking to see if it still had milk on its lips.....

Ole, CHEROKEE INDIAN TOLD ME THIS, White man shoot everything, Indian only shoot enough to eat, use all that the animal has presented to you, tan the hides, or give them to the processor to use or sell...

WE,Only take bucks, with 8 or better, outside the ears, 4" tines or better 4 tines one side (usually a lot longer), no doe until late December, and none that have, light brown to running dark hocks, and only 2 doe per year, and a buck.

Watched a guy ask another guy to help unload his deer, you could have put in a ladies cosmetic case.

Walked over pick its head up and looked at it the fawn still had spots on it too, he asked what was I doing, told him looking to see if it still had milk on its lips.....

Ole, CHEROKEE INDIAN TOLD ME THIS, White man shoot everything, Indian only shoot enough to eat, use all that the animal has presented to you, tan the hides, or give them to the processor to use or sell...
Lol. Did you tell him he had to have been a heck of a shot to have hit something that small?

So do you think your doe sightings correspond to more buck sightings during the rut?

I’ve seen more bucks this year than I have in the past few years.
I’ve had several batchelor groups come around before and after the rut with several chasing does during the rut.
I think there’s just been a lot of breeding going around which explains the large herds and sheer number of deer in general.
I’ve been trying my best to harvest the alphas to thin the herds.
A lot of the big herds have only A few alpha does with the rest being yearlings....most of which have probably been orphaned by hunters and adopted by nearby herds.
They all look incredibly healthy and happy.
I’ve also seen a large number of road kills and deer crossings including myself destroying the front end of my jeep on a big buck that decided to burst
Out of a thicket into my
Path while going 55mph.
Yes....we are absolutely
Over run with deer this season.

Back
Top Bottom