• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Forced Chemical Pantina on Knife Scales

LethalEdge

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
341   1
Reaction score
Okay, what do you all think? I bought an inexpensive Artisian cutlery blade that had brass scales. With some course salt, vinegar, ammonia, mustard and time, I ended up with this.

I don’t understand the chemical reaction as I was not able to control the blues and greens as much as I would like. Seemed random. The somewhat square area of brown is where the scale sat on a wood block to keep it out of the solution. I now know that approach definitely effects the fumes and the how things react. I should have suspended the scales some other way.

Not sure I would try it on an expensive knife, but certainly this made a $60 blade somewhat “custom" (albeit probably now worth $30 :)). I failed to take a before picture.
20220109_202353.jpg
20220109_201431.jpg
20220109_202400.jpg

Very cool indeed. There is a company called sculptnouveau that sells patinas that you just spray on. I've been using them and will continue using them for my new company in CR. There are some really cool forced patinas out there, and yours looks great!

Very cool indeed. There is a company called sculptnouveau that sells patinas that you just spray on. I've been using them and will continue using them for my new company in CR. There are some really cool forced patinas out there, and yours looks great!
Interesting. I took a look at sculptnouveau’s website. Their stuff may provide better control of colors. SMKW has these knives on sale again, I may order another one or three and try again.

Back
Top Bottom