• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford Crown Vic Engine Noise

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
I don't know what this knock is we are hearing. It is supposed to be a royal pain to take the valve cover off this side so I haven't done that yet, anyone know any tricks? Please advise! I appreciate the help ODT.

hard for me to tell from the vid, but a mechanics stethoscope works wonders in pinpointing a noise. Cheap at harbor frieght. Or you can use a long screw driver held against your ear.

hard for me to tell from the vid, but a mechanics stethoscope works wonders in pinpointing a noise. Cheap at harbor frieght. Or you can use a long screw driver held against your ear.
I did the screw driver trick sounds like it's right under the middle of that valve cover. Could a rocker or lifter be loose? I've only taken the valve covers off of old stuff.

I did the screw driver trick sounds like it's right under the middle of that valve cover. Could a rocker or lifter be loose? I've only taken the valve covers off of old stuff.
Could be a sticking injector, try this: http://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CVR65740A

If its definitely under the rocker cover, yes could be a sticking lifter/bad rocker. Doesnt happen often in my experience.
Possible on the injector but as loud as that was Im thinking not, you can listen to the injector too but I would not use the screwdriver to do it. Gently with a stethoscope is how I do it ymmv.
Youre sure its not the water pump/ac/air pump if that year has one?

To check injectors: engine idling, unplug the electrical plug to each injector(one at a time), on the passenger side cylinder bank, listening/watching for any change in idle speed/roughness, reconnect plug, go to next one.

Can't be sure but that doesn't sound like a lifter. Lifters makes more of a metallic click. I would rule out a injector if it's running okay. If you think it's a lifter, try some Lucas in your oil, might just free it up. That sounds more like a rod bearing, I am probably wrong though.

lifter, tappet or hyd lash adjuster, all term(s) are correct and yes, your 4.6 has 16 of them unless it is a DOHC then 32 would be correct. They are a little different but work on the same principle, and some can be adjusted using shims. They can weaken and cause a tapping noise.
Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom