• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Form 1 .30cal suppressor I made for $398 (incl stamp)

So I have had some folks request that I post a parts and materials list. This took the help of a very good friend that did a lot of research and leg work(props to Josh - a very good engineer). The ARFCOM threads are very cumbersome, long, and cluttered. To my knowledge, this is the first condensed list for where to get everything for a Form 1 SD Tactical suppressor in one "short and sweet" place...

SD Tactical does not have everything needed for the can we built (they soon will - which is why I suggest waiting 3 weeks or so before ordering if you want a can like this one). SD will soon have Ti spacer tubes with the correct OD for the ID of the tube; this will save A LOT of time sanding the OD of the spacers like we had to do. They do currently have what is needed for a steel can, but we wanted to shave weight - so Ti it was.

You have the choice of different lengths and materials for the suppressor. Ti, Steel, Al, etc... You can mix and match materials but be aware of the different expansion and contraction rates of these materials and where you may need anti-seize to help remove items as needed after they are hot. SD has 6, 8, and 10" tubes in different materials. The tube you will need for the baffle spacers should be longer than you need; cutting a .5" or .3" spacer off a 2" tube is difficult with a tube cutter....

Shop tools we used that I suggest you have access to are:

shop press
drill press
benchtop belt sander and Zirconia paper
micrometers
(all of these can be gotten cheap at Northern tool or Harbor Freight)
drill bit set
tube / pipe cutter with a blade that will work with Ti or steel or Al (choice is yours)
Dremel with various bits
friendly local dentist that can engrave your can for a nice lunch :)

Sundry materials:

sand paper and metal file (various grits for smoothing "hanging chads" of metal)
automotive anti-seize
30wt or 3in1 oil for lubing drill bits
hose clamp (see pics of me pressing baffles for their use)

Suppressor Materials List:
(this is for the can I built: an 8" Ti tube, Ti spacers, Al endcaps, steel baffled form 1 can)
(the list will vary if you choose other materials)

SDTA http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/Hardware_c_8.html parts:
7.6" Ti tubes ($69.99 ea)
stainless SDTA muzzle brakes (thread pitch is dependent on your weapon) and include an "anodized rear thread protector D-cell" for each. ($77 per set)
SDTA Endcap, option 1, aluminum. ($20 ea)
SDTA centering tool

Spacer Tube

12" (enough for 3 cans) Titanium tube 1.375 OD x .045 (~$10 per can)
http://www.titaniumjoe.com/index.cfm/products/product-details/?code=TU:3Al-2.5V:1.375:1.285:0.045:SC

Silicone O-ring
$0.60 for 5
http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_104_108&products_id=4686

Freeze plugs
You can get these from SD, online, or local auto supply
10 / can (get extra for screw ups)
@ $0.40 - 1.99 ea

Parts cost per can (ignoring shipping): $182

Materials / Tools to build

45° cone from 3 jaw puller
60° dead center ($7) http://www.grizzly.com/products/HSS-Lathe-Center-MT2/H5789
Pipe cutter: McMaster.com part number 2706A4 ($41)
HD cutting wheel (because of Titanium) McMaster.com part number 2757A2 ($5)
U-Drill (.368" for .30cal) McMaster.com part number 30595A53 ($6)

I think that is about it. Usual disclaimer: have your approved Form1 before making this! It is a very simple process on the BATFE website. This was a very fun project. If I can help any further - ask.

Last edited:
Well, the big Ti tubes are out of stock right now... I think this little project has moved up a couple notches on the to do list. Thank you for posting the complete list- that takes a lot of the guess work out of ordering.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the stamp underway. Hopefully the parts are in stock before the stamp comes back.

I'd really love to build a really long 9mm can. I'm not sure the model is right, but similar to the S&W model 76 subgun can. Basically just a lot of internal volume with some attention to converging/diverging nozzles vs. the supersonic gas.

Well, the big Ti tubes are out of stock right now... I think this little project has moved up a couple notches on the to do list.

You can get the longer Ti tube from Apogee as well. A bit more $$, but from what I have read, they are a touch better quality than the SDTA tubes.

So how does it work for the form 1? I send in the paperwork and when it comes back I go buy all the stuff and then put it together. Do I have to submit anything after it is completed?

I believe you can order the parts any time you want. Just do not drill a hole in the end cap until you have the stamp in hand.

I believe you can order the parts any time you want. Just do not drill a hole in the end cap until you have the stamp in hand.
So you could pay for multiple stamps and just build them at your leisure? Or do you notify them when it's complete? Otherwise what happens if they come knocking and ask for your suppressor(s) 2 years later and you never built it?

Back
Top Bottom