• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Form 1 application info needed

This is only true if the firearm isn't already engraved with manufacturer markings. For example, you made your own from an 80% lower. If it already has markings, you can "adopt" those markings and no additional engraving is necessary. This is spelled out clearly in the guides put out by the ATF.
You'd be surprised at the people who like to argue this. When you change the configuration you are not the manufacturer, no engraving needed.

You'd be surprised at the people who like to argue this. When you change the configuration you are not the manufacturer, no engraving needed.

For the firearms covered under the new rule, this is clearly spelled out as not needed, but I don't know about regular Form 1. I haven't done one since 2018 and at the time I thought you had to do that.

I just read that Form 1 firearms need to be engraved with owner and location info. This sounds ridiculous, but also somehow appropriate for government logic. Any advice on where to get this done? Trophy shops?

Most trophy shops won't touch a firearm, especially an NFA one. I think they would need to be an FFL at least unless they can do it while you are still present.

I think it's just for firearms covered under this rule. Here's what they say about markings in the new rule FAQ:

If the SBR equipped with a “stabilizing brace” is registered within the 120-day tax forbearance period, the possessor is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker’s marking exception is only applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule. If the firearm is a personally made firearm, the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 & 479.102 prior to submitting the E-Form 1.

That makes sense (as much as any of this nonsense does) since the braced pistol is already 'made', unlike a 'regular' SBR/SBS.

If you're registering for the "free" tax stamp, it's presumed that you were in possession of a pistol with brace already, which is why it qualifies for the free stamp. If that weren't the case, you could just register any lower or pistol for "free", which you cannot explicitly do according to the guidance put out. I looked at the guide the ATF put out for the free stamp and there is a section that lists photos of the firearm as optional. The only required photos mentioned on the form are photos of yourself.

Theres numerous reasons i wasn't worried about it.

I sent dick pics hoping to knock boots with a few atf boys wives. God knows they haven’t been banged by a real man in a while
1674477110766.png

This is only true if the firearm isn't already engraved with manufacturer markings. For example, you made your own from an 80% lower. If it already has markings, you can "adopt" those markings and no additional engraving is necessary. This is spelled out clearly in the guides put out by the ATF.
I apologize for my ignorance, but do you have a link to this information?
I have two form 1's in process that are factory "pistols" that I wanted to convert to SBR's - I have been told by several individuals I still have to engrave them, but would prefer to not spend the $150 for engraving both of them.
I'm also not into engraving a bunch of stuff I don't need to on a receiver.

I appreciate any assistance.

I have two form 1's in process that are factory "pistols" that I wanted to convert to SBR's - I have been told by several individuals I still have to engrave them, but would prefer to not spend the $150 for engraving both of them.

If you’re going through the regular Form 1 process, you do need to engrave them. If you’re doing the “free” stamp via the new brace rule, then you don’t. The exception only applies to the new rule Form 1.

Yes you have to engrave. If you live close to Cumming ga I have a place that would do it for a little cheaper

Back
Top Bottom