• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Form 1 Solvent Traps

A whole range of options are available from Amazon for "patch traps, filter traps, solvent traps." They're usually adapters that fit many popular barrel threads and adapt to oil filters, bottles, etc. They have a variety of different filters, adapters, contraptions, etc. But there's a reason why their language describing them is like it is. Just don't get caught using one on a weapon would be my advice.

Yeah, I was referring to purchasing what companies advertise as a "solvent trap," so that they can sell legally, and then form 1'ing it. I have zero interest in making an oil filter suppressor and doing something illegal. haha. I already have several form 4'd items that I've had for years now.

I have a good friend who form 1'ed one years ago, prior to their popularity rising, and it's been nothing but flawless for him. He has it on a .30 cal so it's not some humpty-dumpty rimfire can.
Seems like quietbore is the big name nowadays? Anyone worked with them? Reviews seem to rave about their products, but piss on their customer service. Then again, they're making solvent traps. If you choose to work with the BATFE to turn it into a suppressor, there isn't much "customer service" that quietbore can provide, right?

In for answers. Those "solvent trap" things look like very affordable 99% complete silencer kits.
My next suppressor will probably be for .30 rifles (and I'll also use it on an AR in .223).
Would a "solvent trap kit" silencer hold up to the pressures and heat involved in shooting a 7.62 NATO (full length barrels, not SBR, and only slow-fire anticipated). No mag dumps.

As I mentioned in the post I just replied with, I have a good friend who manufactured a .30 cal can that he runs on his .300BLK AR. He's had it for years and has zero issues with it. Mind you, If I recall correctly, I think he went with stainless steel on it.

The very first form 1 suppressor I made I used diversified machine to make the tube and end caps. This was like 8 years or more ago. He had since gotten very popular and had a website where you could buy traps. Well he got raided by the atf not to long ago and they seized all of his stuff even his website.
https://www.atf.gov/detroit-field-division/seized-website-diversified-machine

I have not been paid a visit by the ATF for this matter and it will not bother me if they do come visit but would only use one of these type set ups if no encaps are drilled and no baffles are included. I made my baffles out of freeze plugs and that 22 can has measured just as good as commercial cans. Doubt I'll ever get it apart tho.

Tldr: find a decent quality one, no holes drilled, may or may not get a visit, do everything legal and have for form 1 in hand before drilling.

Edit: more info
I would only form 1 solvent trap a 22 can. Otherwise for a decent set up youre looking at the same cost as a commercial can. You can always "make" a form 1 can then send it off to ecco to be recorded.

An update:

If you want to build a legal (registered on a Form 1, tax-paid) silencer using a "solvent trap" or "fuel filter" or similar de-facto silencer kit from a commercial manufacturer, you may want to act quickly, because the manufacturers and importers of these things are being raided by ATF, their assets confiscated, their businesses closed.

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/at...he-solvent-trap-industry-video/#ixzz7HUIMNkDH
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

QUOTE FROM ammoland article from DECEMBER, 2020:

"AmmoLand has confirmed at least five ATF raids in the past few months for one of two reasons. The ATF’s motivations for intimidating solvent trap manufacturers seem to be related to the crackdown on pistol braces and 80% frames. The ATF believes people are using these devices as loopholes to current gun laws, and/or want to discourage retailers from selling legal parts."

SINCE THEN, in the SUMMER OF 2021, additional "solvent trap" businesses were raided by ATF,
including one here in Georgia that got some press coverage in local newspapers, but the only articles I can find now are hidden to me as a non-subscriber to the AJC and with an adblocker on my browser.

THE POINT IS, ATF's campaign against factory-made silencer kits that are called "fuel filters" or "solvent traps" is ongoing. Something to watch out for in 2022, and it may make your favorite kit unavailable or much more expensive in the near future.

So, a theoretical question:

Suppose I want to legally build a form 1 silencer, "making" my own suppressor by modifying a factory-made solvent trap.

Suppose I have announced to the world that I have zero interest in using such a kit to actually clean my gun; my one and only purpose in buying one is to turn it into a silencer.

Now, if I buy and take delivery of my "solvent trap" kit on Day 1, and I intend to fill-out a Form 1 and submit it to ATF with a $200 payment somewhere around Day 30....

But ATF raids my house on Day 5 and finds my do-it-yourself silencer kit, without any completed Form 1, without any documentation that I was actively in the process of registering it and paying the NFA tax on it...

... could I be (in theory) prosecuted?

Back
Top Bottom