• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Formbys and American Black Walnut

Thanks!!
I have used tru oil with great success. Figured it was time to try something different. It is a super smooth finish. I am happy with the results.

As well you should be, that is some beautiful wood you have in the most non-gay way I can mean.

Do you prefer it to the Tru oil? Is one easier to work with than the other?

As well you should be, that is some beautiful wood you have in the most non-gay way I can mean.

Do you prefer it to the Tru oil? Is one easier to work with than the other?

IMO the tru oil is a little more foregiving to work with. It's builds much faster, but also adds weight. Tru Oil I typically just steel wool in between coats and sand just to level it out. Then final polish.

Formbys goes on much thinner, chemical make up is about 65% carrier (thinner). It will show every imperfection in the stock prep, and your coat. So steel wool and or sanding between coats is more frequent. Since the finish goes on thinner you really have to hold it to the light as the pic a added to see your imperfections. But then again I am anal when it comes to spots showing up at the end.

Both have there perks. And I will continue to use both I am sure. Tru Oil for average and Formbys for nice grain stocks as it grabs highlights better IMO.

13 coats is equal to about 4-5 in true oil with more attention to detail required. But worth it for the right piece of wood. Hope that wasn't to long winded for ya.

Back
Top Bottom