• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

forming 20VT brass from .223 brass

If you're happy with your .223, that's fine. But the 20VT is really in a league all its own, offering higher velocity, greater accuracy, and less drop.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

What a sales pitch... i have .223's that shoot 1/4 MOA. Is there better? And if so does it matter? But throw your $ where you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a sales pitch... i have .223's that shoot 1/4 MOA. Is there better? And if so does it matter? But throw your $ where you wish.

Not a sales pitch. I don't even own one. But I do think they're interesting. I've shot a couple of 1/4 MOA groups with my old .222 Rems over the past 40+ years. But not on a consistent basis. I've never seen many rifles that will other than custom benchrest rifles.

Not trying to ruffle your feathers. It's all good. I enjoy tinkering with wildcat rounds, just like I enjoy reloading and other aspects of our hobby. As for range, the 20VT makes consistent kills on PDs out to 400+ yds. Not short range in my book. Heck, I have trouble seeing PDs past 250 yds unless I'm using a scope of 20X+ magnification. Then mirage plays hell over a hot barrel.

So this round is for the short range varmint shooter?

So you were a helo mechanic? Cool! I always loved helicopters. Worked offshore one summer and PHI seemed to be constantly working on those birds. One Vietnam Vet pilot told me there was about 10 hours maintenance for every hour flown.

(Sorry OP for getting off subject).

They are good job security. I'm an ELR shooter, 400 yards is short range to me. But it's all relevant. Last trip to SD my furthest dog was taken at 1140 yards with a 7mm STW. I've shot target rifles since 2002 out to 2250 yards. I just don't care to play with short range wild cats. But ELR wild cats blow my mind.

still using .223 bras, def getting a cheap harbor freight chop saw. have read really good things about using 5.56LC brass for the parent. for final trim i am ordering a WFT insert for 20 vt. love that trimmer.

image.jpeg
Update: rifle is at the gunsmiths. Bought a redding 3 die set with bushing neck, body, and seater. Also got a rcbs .17mach4 form die. Run brass thru neck die with guts removed, mach4, body die. In the pic, the long neck ones are after the mach4 die.

Back
Top Bottom