• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Forsyth County Laws -Shooting in your backyard

GlockIssue

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
14   0
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering buying a house and are looking at Cumming. I was curious as to what the gun laws are as far as county ordinances go. I saw something online that stated that Forsyth County does not have any ordinances that dictate the discharge of firearms on one's property. I believe this means that the only applicable law is that you can't discharge a firearm within 50 ft of a road. However, I had no way of verifying whether or not the online source was credible (my default would say it's not). I tried to look through Lexis Nexis, but who wants to take the time to try to find a needle in a haystack.

Anyone know what the ordinance is there, if any, or have a link to a credible source referencing this? Thanks!

Last edited:
I live in Forsyth county. 1st, there's no shooting in a subdivision. 2nd, if you own a piece of property where you can shoot safely (and I thought it was 50 yards from the road) you can shoot outside the city limits. You can hunt in this county with a rifle north of Hwy 20, south of Hwy 20 it's bow, black powder or shotgun only. It is my experience that your first time out somebody close to you will call the law. They will come out to see what you're doing, making sure you're doing it safely (not slinging them across a road behind your backstop) and bid you fare well. That will likely be your only visit, because they go back to the person that called and tell them you're within your rights. In the event a different person calls the next time, you will have another visit and then they will handle that caller. And so it goes ....

edit: How close other houses are to you, plays into this just like the road do.

Last edited:
I live in Forsyth county. 1st, there's no shooting in a subdivision. 2nd, if you own a piece of property where you can shoot safely (and I thought it was 50 yards from the road) you can shoot outside the city limits. You can hunt in this county with a rifle north of Hwy 20, south of Hwy 20 it's bow, black powder or shotgun only. It is my experience that your first time out somebody close to you will call the law. They will come out to see what you're doing, making sure you're doing it safely (not slinging them across a road behind your backstop) and bid you fare well. That will likely be your only visit, because they go back to the person that called and tell them you're within your rights. In the event a different person calls the next time, you will have another visit and then they will handle that caller. And so it goes ....

We hate HOA's. No subdivisions for us. And I stand corrected: 50 YARDS, not feet lol.

When you say "outside the city limits" do you mean in an area that's unincorporate Forsyth?

10-4 on the rest and thanks!

We hate HOA's. No subdivisions for us. And I stand corrected: 50 YARDS, not feet lol.

When you say "outside the city limits" do you mean in an area that's unincorporate Forsyth?

10-4 on the rest and thanks!

The city limits (best I recall) is defined as a one mile circle from the court house on the square in Cumming. Outside of that area you can hunt and shoot.

Ive had forsyth SO show up once. We blew up tannerite and someone called 911 3 times and then 3 cars stopped the officer saying something blew up. Once he saw our awesome range and that we were 24 acres and prob a half mile off the road. He said carry on. One thing though. There ia a sound ordinancw after 10pm

Ive had forsyth SO show up once. We blew up tannerite and someone called 911 3 times and then 3 cars stopped the officer saying something blew up. Once he saw our awesome range and that we were 24 acres and prob a half mile off the road. He said carry on. One thing though. There ia a sound ordinancw after 10pm

You're in the Heardsville area aren't you, lol.

So if I have a couple acres and can safely shoot a yote in my back yard if it comes walking through on a whim, I can do so as long as I'm not within city limits and I'm 50 yards away from a public road? This is in Forsyth, of course. Although I'll probably have to deal with a neighbor calling the cops.

Yep if not in an hoa and 50 yards from edge of public roadway, good to go, FC defers to state law that is where the 50 yards comes from. I polled many including the attorney general, sheriff, etc and 5 of 6 said the measurement begins at the edge of the pavement.
I've had the "Latino" neighbors call LEO's on me several times I show them my berm and they have never bothered to pull a tape, its obvious I am 150 ft from road. Several years back FC ran a newspaper article telling all the new move ins that this is the south and to not get upset about hearing gunfire, I have a copy somewhere

Back
Top Bottom