• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Forsyth County Laws -Shooting in your backyard

Yep if not in an hoa and 50 yards from edge of public roadway, good to go, FC defers to state law that is where the 50 yards comes from. I polled many including the attorney general, sheriff, etc and 5 of 6 said the measurement begins at the edge of the pavement.
I've had the "Latino" neighbors call LEO's on me several times I show them my berm and they have never bothered to pull a tape, its obvious I am 150 ft from road. Several years back FC ran a newspaper article telling all the new move ins that this is the south and to not get upset about hearing gunfire, I have a copy somewhere

That's funny. And thanks for the response. It's good to know since it looks like we'll be buying a house there.

Yep if not in an hoa and 50 yards from edge of public roadway, good to go, FC defers to state law that is where the 50 yards comes from. I polled many including the attorney general, sheriff, etc and 5 of 6 said the measurement begins at the edge of the pavement.
I've had the "Latino" neighbors call LEO's on me several times I show them my berm and they have never bothered to pull a tape, its obvious I am 150 ft from road. Several years back FC ran a newspaper article telling all the new move ins that this is the south and to not get upset about hearing gunfire, I have a copy somewhere

Thanks bud, I was hoping you would show up. I knew you would know better than me...

No HOA but I popped a couple tree rats with 22 sub sonic. Old bag across the hollow called the cops. Same thing happened with an air gun. Cops came a said the 22 is a problem. However, he couldnt site a regulation/law. Young punk cop. Second officer was much nicer and said... carry on....

Call in on the county non emergency line and speak to an officer so you can have heard it from the same person that would potentially be responding to any 911 gunshot calls in your area. They will clarify it of you on the phone. Can't stop others from complaining about gunshot noise though.

I live in Forsyth county. 1st, there's no shooting in a subdivision. 2nd, if you own a piece of property where you can shoot safely (and I thought it was 50 yards from the road) you can shoot outside the city limits. You can hunt in this county with a rifle north of Hwy 20, south of Hwy 20 it's bow, black powder or shotgun only. It is my experience that your first time out somebody close to you will call the law. They will come out to see what you're doing, making sure you're doing it safely (not slinging them across a road behind your backstop) and bid you fare well. That will likely be your only visit, because they go back to the person that called and tell them you're within your rights. In the event a different person calls the next time, you will have another visit and then they will handle that caller. And so it goes ....

edit: How close other houses are to you, plays into this just like the road do.
Where is the documentation that supports the "there's no shooting in a subdivision," claim? I have not been able to find anything that supports this.

only issue in subdivision is HOA's, state law, FC's choice is still 50 yards from q public road, nothing about subdivision's property lines etc. I've lived here almost 40 y3ears now and been shooting in backyard into small berm, 1 load of dirt piled high. Had LEO's called out every time a new northern transplant moves closer they call not knowing local laws and once responding see's my area they go tell em, welcome to the south, get used to it. Yeeehawwwww,

Back
Top Bottom