• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Forsyth County Laws -Shooting in your backyard

I recently read the Forsyth Co. ordinances on shooting and noise.
There isn't an explicit ban on shooting in subdivisions, BUT

...but the NOISE law is based on unreasonable noise, and I think the proximity to other homes and the general character of the area will be factors in deciding what is reasonable or unreasonable.

Shooting in a densely packed subdivision, with other neighborhoods surrounding yours, is more likely to disturb and even alarm other folks than if the shooting were done in the back yard of a farmhouse that sits on 5 acres and borders 30 acres of cow pasture on one side and hundreds of yards of Corps of Engineers woods bordering the lake.

I live in Forsyth county. 1st, there's no shooting in a subdivision. 2nd, if you own a piece of property where you can shoot safely (and I thought it was 50 yards from the road) you can shoot outside the city limits. You can hunt in this county with a rifle north of Hwy 20, south of Hwy 20 it's bow, black powder or shotgun only. It is my experience that your first time out somebody close to you will call the law. They will come out to see what you're doing, making sure you're doing it safely (not slinging them across a road behind your backstop) and bid you fare well. That will likely be your only visit, because they go back to the person that called and tell them you're within your rights. In the event a different person calls the next time, you will have another visit and then they will handle that caller. And so it goes ....

edit: How close other houses are to you, plays into this just like the road do.
Where did you read the "no subdivision" law? The FoCo sheriff told me in writing the only law for FoCo was 50 yards from a public road and no shooting towards a dwelling....

Where did you read the "no subdivision" law? The FoCo sheriff told me in writing the only law for FoCo was 50 yards from a public road and no shooting towards a dwelling....

If you live in a subdivision, it almost certainly has protective covenants, even if there is not an active HOA. Those protective covenants likely prohibit shooting on the property.

The covenants are not "law" in the sense that you can go to jail for violating them, but an aggrieved neighbor can cause you unlimited expense and bother.

Back
Top Bottom