• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Found this chimney in the National Forest

Yep. Along roads and trails every day's travel by foot or horse there would spring up an inn, tavern, or just an encampment site. Some of those grew into small towns, some of which persisted to today, but most withered away and were abandoned when roads and transportation technology improved. Plus you had lots of failed settlements all over.

Very cool find! I live coming across old things like this. Reminds me of the time I came across a VERY VERY old graveyard in the middle of nowhere at a old deer hunting lease when I was a little boy. Im talking DEEP in the woods far far away from anything. Makes you stop and wonder.
Man, we found one like that down in Meriwether at our old lease, most of the gravestones had confederate flags on them, one section was a lot older than the other section, no telling how old they were.

OP
That's a cool find for sure. There used to be one out in the middle of my hunting land in jasper until a tree fell on it. I'd say it was 200 years old easy.

Very cool find! I live coming across old things like this. Reminds me of the time I came across a VERY VERY old graveyard in the middle of nowhere at a old deer hunting lease when I was a little boy. Im talking DEEP in the woods far far away from anything. Makes you stop and wonder.
That one in Pinelog WMA?
This one is off FS road 95 in the Chattahoochee National forest

Back
Top Bottom