• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fox with Rabies?

Burdy

Default rank 5000+ posts
ODT Co-Founder
Forum Owner
260   0
Reaction score
I've got a weird thing going on. I've had a fox the last couple weeks get more and more brave and aggressive. He is coming out into the pasture chasing my horse and my GSP. He is also making the most awful sound the whole time. He doesn't seem scared of anything. This is not normal behavior. I also have to small "lap dogs" that I know he would get if he had the chance. I mean this thing ran within 25 yards of me head on the other day. Could there be anything else going on with it besides Rabies? I didn't want to kill it, but I'm not going to let it get one of my dogs..or horses. Oh, and this is the largest red fox I have ever seen, he's every bit of 25 lbs...probably more.

Im not sure what it could be and your very right thats not at all "normal" fox behavior. Id say if your put into a situation that hes trying to attack your pets, livestock, or even worse you then he needs to be put down. A call to your local game warden wouldnt hurt just to let me know whats going on. He might send someone out to trap it.

Im not very familiar with trapping technology, but wouldn't I run the risk of my GSP getting in it? My technology would involve a .17 HMR and CCI TNT's.

Last edited:
Just contacted the warden. He gave me the go ahead to kill it. That was much quicker and easier than I thought. Now I just have to practice up on my calls....

Yeah, but Im definitely no expert. Has, long, med and short range. Im on a little over 18 acres and have rabbits EVERYWHERE. Should I use it continuously almost, or.....???

You should be fine with any of the settings just do short burst and make it sound as realistic as you can practicing alittle before you try and call him up wont hurt. Call for about 30 seconds to a minute and then wait a minute or two and call some more. Watch for him though because the way you discribed him he might end up in your lap.

One of your settings is a coaxer, another is a cottantail, and the last is a jack rabbit. The jack rabbit will sound raspy when you blow it and the coaxer should be the quietest of them all.

Back
Top Bottom