• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Franken-ARs

I would take an AR for that with Anderson or PSA receivers. With the "Right Stuff". Match barrel, drop in trigger,enhanced mil spec upper/lower kits ,cool rail, M4 feed ramps, and magpul STR stock (depending on length of barrel). From the right ODT Members (or willing to come out and run it) . With 60rds steel cased ammo down the barrel with no hiccups . But that's just my opinion. Note for newer newbs= I clean the barrel after each of the first 5 rounds and after first mag ; others may have a better routine for breaking in a rifle? NO POLY for me
I don't believe most mil spec AR barrels require a break in. They should work as well as they are going to right out of the box after a function check & lots of lube.
@BangBang says women are the same....:behindsofa:

For me, the only out of spec lower I have run across was an Anderson. The mag catch relief was too shallow, mags would not lock in. Had to fit a mag release to the lower so it would work.
Hate that you ran into that. First time I've ever heard of it but i aint been into AR's that long. I imagine others will be along with Anderson/PSA problems. It's the best i could do on my first pistol build a couple yrs ago $$$ and never have had any issues.

Hate that you ran into that. First time I've ever heard of it but i aint been into AR's that long. I imagine others will be along with Anderson/PSA problems. It's the best i could do on my first pistol build a couple yrs ago $$$ and never have had any issues.

Not any big deal. I knew it was a cheap lower and the failure to lock was easy to diagnose. A little work with a file and some stones, and it was good to go.

I don't know why so many people think building a gun with the cheapest crap is the way to go, or buying one from a LGS for $400 for that matter. I have a Franken AR, which runs great, but I have gone back in and eliminated the crap Anderson cheap lower for a nice Spikes, rebuilt the trigger group, new buffer, and a few other things. I won't do a Franken again unless its with the highest grade milspec parts all the way around, which I would expect to run me between $1500-$2k done the way I'd want it. If I go to a custom shop it will be twice that. I don't drive a beater, tho its an older car, why shoot cheap and have it break in a grueling day of hard training... just my thinking.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Agreed, however I can safely assume that I'm gonna screw up something on my first AR build, if I were to do one. I'd rather screw up a $400 build vs a $2000 build! ;)

I have 1 build that ill never sell and its not budget by any means. Most parts are JP Enterprises and its set up as a precision rifle.

My others AR's are factory turned into SBR's

Never had any interest in those cheap Anderson, PSA, or Spikes for that matter.....

Was the Anderson lower receiver giving you trouble?
No, but I only had 500 rds thru it to date.

I took a 2 day armorer class from a master builder last autumn. William Larson, of Semper Parabus Arms, has been working on AR's, etc., for over 30 years. From his military duty, to being a subcontractor hired by the military to repair their broken firearms during these wars in the last 2 decades, to now leading a company building their AR's.

His class was offered to help people build their own rifle, rebuild their rifle properly, and learn the best ways to build/rebuild with stronger longer lasting gear based on his 30+ years building and repairing AR rifles. After taking his class I trust his expertise and knowledge. His ability to build a trigger group blindfolded, jk.. he probably could, his ability to build it so easily was enlightening and so educational. I'd recommend you all finding him, even traveling to wherever he is to learn from him.

From what he explained about my franken AR, issues would happen on a rough 1000 rd training weekend, not necessarily with the Anderson lower, but more likely with the PSA Upper and the way it was built. Improper staking both in the upper and bcg, and little things that inexperience had created, just to say a few. I bought mine from a guy a few years ago.

Lastly, most guys don't shoot theirs hard so many issues don't come up for years, but eventually happen.

I'd recommend his class whenever its close by. It was offered here by the gun shop who sponsored the class in LaGrange and had guys drive in from 3 different states to learn from him.

c72a6b19754feb67fe80650f38254d9e.jpg

Now that i finally got my house,land,and cars all paid off. I can get into some quality/high dollar builds maybe. After I pay for my next Harley. Might even buy one'em MicroTechs.....pending approval LOL Taking her to the mountains Friday may help??

Agreed, however I can safely assume that I'm gonna screw up something on my first AR build, if I were to do one. I'd rather screw up a $400 build vs a $2000 build! ;)
I hear ya, and I am right there with you. I would rec checking out Larson class schedule, see above, and learn from / build a good one with a top master builder. That's my plan if I decide to build/rebuild one again down the road.

Back
Top Bottom