• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frankford tumbler question

rusty9876

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
121   0
Reaction score
Just got my new tumbler. Would you suggest using the stainless pins or not? Would you deprime first and if so, what are the chances of pins getting in the primer pocket?
Rusty

I use the pins and wet tumble. I also de-prime and resize my shells before cleaning them. The pins seem to be the best method I've seen, and no the pins don't get stuck in the primer hole (but you do have to shake them out of the shell). They never wear out and never rust so you don't have to keep buying media.

I use a thumblers tumbler and tumble in Dawn and Lemi shine, Have tried a lot of different chemicals. Some can turn the brass some cool colors but Dawn and Leni shine seems to give the best natural brass color and the brass looks better than brand new if I stick them in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes after an 8 hour tumble.
The pins that I use will occasionally get stuck in the primer hole with two pins side by side. I have read that there are bigger diameter pins that avoid this. I bought 10 pounds of pins and have probably tumbled 15000 rifle and pistol cases and I have only lost a small portion of the pins.
My stainless steel pins are magnetic which I find helpful, not sure if all are magnetic.
I can run a strong magnet over the cases after dried and find any remaining pins that are in the case or primer flash hole.

The smaller diameter pins are said to get caught in the anvil of the primer if not de-primed. I don't know as I have not tried it. It's reported that the larger diameter pins don't do this as easily.

I lube/de-prime the cases before wet tumbling. It does a bang up job on the pockets, inside and outside the case and large amounts of brass can be processed with a cement mixer... About 3K of brass at a time.

I use a universal decapping die. I would rather not be exposed to the lead as I drain the bucket and the cases dry faster.
I use the stainless steel chips from Southern Shine. Cheapest option I've found and I've done small primer pistol and rifle and large rifle primers never found them to stick if dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Suggest you decap first and then wet tumble using SS pins, auto wash and wax as the cleaning agent plus 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine per batch. The Lemi-Shine is what gives the brass that high brilliance.

The brass must be quickly dried after tumbling so as to prevent water spotting on the surface.

Regarding your question as to whether pins can get stuck in flash holes, the answer depends on the diameter size of your pins. My first set of pins had a diameter of 0.041". These pins are small enough to where pins can get stuck in flash holes side-by-side. I got rid of these and bought a second set of pins with a diameter of 0.047". These pins are too wide to get stuck in flash holes. I've never had stuck pins with this larger size.

Snap of recently tumbled 30-06 brass:

Happy Tumbling -

Bayou

Suggest you decap first and then wet tumble using SS pins, auto wash and wax as the cleaning agent plus 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine per batch. The Lemi-Shine is what gives the brass that high brilliance.

The brass must be quickly dried after tumbling so as to prevent water spotting on the surface.

Regarding your question as to whether pins can get stuck in flash holes, the answer depends on the diameter size of your pins. My first set of pins had a diameter of 0.041". These pins are small enough to where pins can get stuck in flash holes side-by-side. I got rid of these and bought a second set of pins with a diameter of 0.047". These pins are too wide to get stuck in flash holes. I've never had stuck pins with this larger size.

Snap of recently tumbled 30-06 brass:

Happy Tumbling -

Bayou
WOW ,THAT LOOKS GREAT

I just switched over about a month ago, couldn't be happier. I deprime prior to tumbling. 1 shot of dawn, 1/4 teaspoon limeshine, with pins. Did not have a problem with pins sticking in primer pockets.
Wow inside and outside clean, and yes a magnet will pick the pins up. Make sure you rinse brass good, it will leave spots.

Back
Top Bottom