• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Franklin Arms short barreled firearm with rifle buttstock but no ATF paperwork?

You don’t need to engrave your lower unless you plan on selling it as an SBR. If you manufacture and you’re the only owner and plan on either A. Keeping the weapon or B. Removing it off the registry before you sell then there is absolutely no need to engrave it. Saves a bit of time and hassle and doesn’t post your info all over your weapon

This is for lower receivers that are already manufactured and already contain a SN like your example.

If you build on an 80% lower you must engrave it to BATFE standards when you file a form 1

This is a common misconception

I think I found where you're coming from based upon this article:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/do-you-need-to-engrave-your-form-1ed-sbr/

I guess if you never plan to sell it and intend to hold onto it forever, then per this article you wouldn't need it engraved.

**Oh, and per this article you are incorrect on Part B

Screenshot_20180123-145201.jpg

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.

I'm with you, but read the article I linked earlier. That's the only interpretation I've read that is different than what you cited. It sounds like that guy might have asked an agent and maybe received an answer different than anything documented.

I'm with you, but read the article I linked earlier. That's the only interpretation I've read that is different than what you cited. It sounds like that guy might have asked an agent and maybe received an answer different than anything documented.
I work for a class 3 dealer/ SOT and this is pretty common knowledge around our parts?

I was probably wrong abOut 80% lowers seeing as none of us touch em nor deal in them

Back
Top Bottom